Search the forum,

Discuss Recommended lesser known, fancy or cool components for domestic plumbing and heating systems? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everybody

First post here.

I'm planning a new plumbing system for my small house.

I can find lots of general guidance, but what I was wondering about was the perhaps lesser known fancy or clever design elements and components.
I guess, what would an experienced plumber's home system looked like if they weren't trying to save every penny?
Ignoring smart/internet control for now.

Can anybody recommend some resources as above, for a standard combi boiler with underfloor water heating system?
Ideally concise resources like diagrams, summary documents. Or even a book if it comes to that.

For example
  • magnetic filters
  • water hammer arrestors
  • automatic bypass valves (to potentially save pump damage or stalling)
  • automatic filling valve (to correct water pressure drop on central heating systems)

I hope you're all well

: )

I’d say most plumbers are different, some will be brand loyal, others may just obtain off the shelf items. Budget plays a big part. Manufacturers websites provide detailed downloadable information such as drawings, instructions etc.

Is that UFH with radiators... if so spend your time finding an engineer that knows what theyre doing.

Oh, wouldnt an AFV just disquise any issues you had with the system or boiler?

Not lesser known, fancy or particularly cool, but isolation valves. I am shocked at how few of them there are in my house. Also proper drain taps, that you can hook to a hose, open and do not leak around the little nut that opens them. Strategically positioned isolation and drain taps make maintenance of a plumbing system much less hassle, both for the water and the heating.

Temperature gauges are also nice, so you can monitor flow and return temperatures.

A hot water tap that can be connected to a hose.

In a sealed system, as gmartine mentioned I would skip the auto fill valve, since you will want to know when the system is losing water. Of coarse you could also put an isolation valve there and keep if off in normal service. Are AFVs even allowed inthe UK? I though you needed a "fill loop" that can be physically disconnected?

Do you plan to have rads as well? or only underfloor? and how many zones?

Last edited:

Reply to Recommended lesser known, fancy or cool components for domestic plumbing and heating systems? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock