From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Recommended/avoid brands/retailers please? in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Over the next few months we're redoing cloakroom,main bathroom and converting current toilet room to a small ensuite.
So, 3 toilets, 2 possibly with concealed cisterns.
Cloakroom will be with Grundfos macerator and due to modern toilets (slim cisterns) not having adequate space behind for the macerator, thinking of a concealed cistern in there. Want to make sure we get a loo/cistern that flushes efficiently to the macerator. Seen people saying that some loos have funny shaped wastes that don;t flush well?

Standard 1700 bath with mains combi shower over-probably exposed valve. Have seen some Grohe bar showers or wall mounted bath filler /shower units that we might prefer. Other brands considered are Mira or Aqualisa. Is a ceramic valve better? What about the quality of the chrome ? We've had Grohe taps/valve before in USA , but didn't stay there long after we fitted them.
Shower tray (900 x 900) with either pivot door or 400 fixed panel (preferred as limited for space). Just trays? Is it best to avoid acrylic trays/baths?

Most confused by basins and toilets as prices seem to vary so much from Plumbworld or other plumbing suppliers or bathroom republic, bathrooms and showers direct to brand names like Twyford, IS etc.
I can see that the cistern mechanism might be better but that can be replaced with a better one for ?£40 as opposed to paying an extra £100 + for a branded sink/toilet.

So essentially
toilets
basins
cisterns
taps and shower valve
bath
shower tray

Looked at so many we're dizzy☹

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
Are you doing the work yourself?

If not, take recommendations from your plumber, he/she will fit things that they know will not get them called back. Or if it comes to it, that they know they can get parts and fix relatively easily.

I could tell you what I like , but I’m not the one doing it!

If you go cheap don’t expect a fantastic job.

Oh ok then, for what it’s worth I’d suggest geberit wall hung frames for your concealed lavatories.

SimonG

Plumber
Advent Win
Ignore the sheds, victoria/Victorian plumbing.

As above listen to your plumber.

I like mid range sanitaryware and high end brass ware.

Ignore the sheds, victoria/Victorian plumbing.

As above listen to your plumber.

I like mid range sanitaryware and high end brass ware.
We're looking at RAK, Duravit and Vitra for toilets/basins, acrylic bath reinforced with fibreglass (Carronite, Trojan), acrylic capped stone resin shower trays(Aquauta Matki, Simpsons) and Grohe, Crosswater for brassware. Considering others if they have 10 yr plus good guarantees Not touching VP, B&Q etc. Our plumber uses JT Dove who sell K-VIT (?Kartell-Turkish) and Frontline. I don;t know anything about Frontline.
We're also doing WC in the utility room with Grundfos macerator and struggling a bit to be able to see if the more modern toilets will have enough height (floor to the bit the cistern sits on) for the macerator. Most of them have sides that slope off. I know we'll need to bring the toilet away from the wall to allow for the depth, but if there's not enough height we could end up having to come a lot further out, and we don;t have that much room anyway!
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Post automatically merged:

Are you buying this or is the plumber / fitter?
we are, but he's told us if we look at the Frontline/K-Vit brochure and see anything we like we can call his supplier and mention his name and they'll give us a price. He seems happy to fit anything decent. Usual "stay away from the sheds and VP" advice.

Last edited:

SimonG

Plumber
Advent Win
Frontline is good, I get it from local independent. Options on price range, but leave the brassware to more of a name.

Nothing wrong with Rak, Duravit or Vitra. Can get some of them through Frontline.

Eastbrook is another decent supplier.

Crosswater is a big no from me. Previous issues, multiple times keeps me away from them.

Frontline is good, I get it from local independent. Options on price range, but leave the brassware to more of a name.

Nothing wrong with Rak, Duravit or Vitra. Can get some of them through Frontline.

Eastbrook is another decent supplier.

Crosswater is a big no from me. Previous issues, multiple times keeps me away from them.
cheers SimonG. Interesting re Crosswater.We were focused on Grohe, but then were leaning towards Crosswater. Do you have a preferred brand for brassware, or did you mean RAK,Duravit,Vitra OK for sanitary and brassware?
When we find a product we like we're looking at prices everywhere? (as long as the guarantee is good).
Just bought 2 RAK Series 600 close coupled (complete toilets) for £210 inc shipping. Maybe that doesn't sound cheap compared to trade prices!

Always buy well known brand, certain online stores taps etc have no manafactures details so no hope when they go wrong, Frankie are paying me to replace Kitchen tap thats still in warranty for a customer, thats what you get from well known brands. Customer service cost more but pays in the end especially if you are going for back to the wall taps.

rpm

Esteemed
Plumber
Cloakroom will be with Grundfos macerator and due to modern toilets (slim cisterns) not having adequate space behind for the macerator, thinking of a concealed cistern in there. Want to make sure we get a loo/cistern that flushes efficiently to the macerator. Seen people saying that some loos have funny shaped wastes that don;t flush well?
Check the specs on the Sanislim, it may help you room wise.

Reply to Recommended/avoid brands/retailers please? in the DIY Bathroom Remodelling Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Plumbing and Plumbers

Plumbing Workwear

Shower Power Booster

Plumbase Spares - Plumbing Supplies and Spare Parts

Water Underfloor Heating

CORGI Direct for Plumbers

The Wetroom Store

Plumbase Spares