• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today!

Discuss Recommendations for new combi boiler install in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Adrian P

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for advice on replacing a back gas fired boiler with a new combi boiler. I was thinking of placing the new combi boiler in the store room where the mains gas meter is located. Been looking a Worcester Greenstar 32CDI compact combi boiler but really looking for recommendations on makes and models please. In the future I would like to do an extension out the back of the kitchen and was wondering if a water underfloor heating system would be a good idea for the kitchen, utility and conservatory. Could the underfloor heating be run off the combi boiler? Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

upload_2019-6-8_13-28-5.png

Riley

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Use the search box and you will see dozens of threads like this. I am not a Worcester fan as are many of my colleagues on here. Overrated for what they are and the money they charge. What you need to do is get quotes. Get some engineers to properly survey it all for you and the new location. They will recommend boilers. You are welcome to get out take on here of the suggestions but I would nigh on guarantee that you ask 10 engineers you will likely get 7-8 different suggestions. In answer to your final question yes you can run underfloor from it

Riley

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Ps if you have an extension. A combi is only suitable for one bathroom

Riley

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Cool I would definitely get some quotes in and review

OP
A

Adrian P

Reaction score
Use the search box and you will see dozens of threads like this. I am not a Worcester fan as are many of my colleagues on here. Overrated for what they are and the money they charge. What you need to do is get quotes. Get some engineers to properly survey it all for you and the new location. They will recommend boilers. You are welcome to get out take on here of the suggestions but I would nigh on guarantee that you ask 10 engineers you will likely get 7-8 different suggestions. In answer to your final question yes you can run underfloor from it
Thanks Riley. I'll be doing the work myself, such as piping and fitting new radiators, except for the gas works required. Learning as I go along and doing as much research as I can.

Riley

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
You’re not hanging the boiler are you?

Reaction score
Only decent Worcester are the classic CDI’s, the new compacts aren’t very good in my opinion. You will find plenty of people who like Worcester but overall for the price, they aren’t value for money and there are better options out there.

As mentioned above gas safe have made it clear you can’t even hang a boiler unless qualified so this might get you in hot water. Better leaving it alone and consulting an engineer.

Riley

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
I’m hoping the silence doesn’t mean he doesn’t like the sound of that

OP
A

Adrian P

Reaction score
Only decent Worcester are the classic CDI’s, the new compacts aren’t very good in my opinion. You will find plenty of people who like Worcester but overall for the price, they aren’t value for money and there are better options out there.

As mentioned above gas safe have made it clear you can’t even hang a boiler unless qualified so this might get you in hot water. Better leaving it alone and consulting an engineer.
Thanks Scott. What make would you recommend?

OP
A

Adrian P

Reaction score
I’m hoping the silence doesn’t mean he doesn’t like the sound of that
Not necessarily, it's early days and I have a lot to consider about what I can and can't do myself.

Riley

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Well there’s no not necessarily about it. You cannot hang a boiler, fit a flue or touch the gas pipework

Reaction score
Thanks Scott. What make would you recommend?
I usually fit Baxi, the platinum/duo tec are tried and tested. Quite big and heavy (like the CDI) but they are solid and well made. There’s also the 600 series which are small and whisper quiet but they’ve are only a couple of years old so can’t talk on their longevity.

Just my opinion with what I install and come across.

Millsy 82

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
I usually fit Baxi, the platinum/duo tec are tried and tested. Quite big and heavy (like the CDI) but they are solid and well made. There’s also the 600 series which are small and whisper quiet but they’ve are only a couple of years old so can’t talk on their longevity.

Just my opinion with what I install and come across.
The 600's seem quite good and not had a problem yet with them. I like the aftercare as well with baxi had 2 problems within warranty over the years and they came out next day no problems.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Do you have a DAB radio for work?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.