Search the forum,

Discuss Recommend me a fuel transfer pump. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

New tank going in and need to transfer a thousand litres of kero.
can anyone recommend a decent transfer pump.
Loads on eBay but interested to hear personal experiences.
thanks.

I have two pumps, one I use will an electric drill it's a metal pump made by wolfrace I think around £35. Its a good pump it will take quite some time to transfer a thousand litres. The second pump I have is around £300 pound and is self priming and would transfer 1000 liters in about 10 mins. It has a meter on it that counts the amount transferred. If you are going to use a pump for one job buy a cheap pump, if you plan to use it for multiple jobs, you would be safer going for a decent pump

Piusi transfer pump is very good and I have a 240 volt version which pumps a litre a second. Fairly inexpensive and just got to try to use it on pure oil and remove the filter and cover to clean inside the pump very frequently, if not after every use.

New tank going in and need to transfer a thousand litres of kero.
can anyone recommend a decent transfer pump.
Loads on eBay but interested to hear personal experiences.
thanks.
I bought a 700 watt cast iron and brass pump direct from the factory in Italy.240v forward and reverse self priming.Ive had it approximately 6 years and just transferred 1000 litres of light oil and it took 45 minutes using 3\4 hose pumping a distance of 15m.It cost me £48 plus £15 delivery.Same pump here over the counter is £140.The pump is on site still so i will get back to you with the manufacturer.Highly recommend it.Handy for all sorts

Update. I ended up cobbling something together with a high capacity vehicle fuel pump I had kicking about.
Made a T piece so I could feed the boiler and also transfer to the new tank at the same time.
Took a while but it did the job.

Sounds complicated...did you have a check valve on supply to the burner?
i would be interested to know how you done this with a high pressure pump.
good thinking though.

Although it is potentially a high pressure pump, it was only ever going to be pumping into an open ended pipe. So the discharge pressure of the pump is limited to a the head and frictional losses. As the flow rate would be relatively low, I considered the frictional losses negligible.
To be double sure I didn't overstress the new oil line (Qualpipe), I fitted a section of rubber fuel pipe on the pump discharge so I could 'feel' how much pressure I was putting down the line - turns out - next to nothing.

I had the existing pipework from the old tank to a T piece. One leg went to the boiler, the other leg, via a ball-valve, through the pump to the new tank. Originally I planned to either run the boiler, or send oil to the new tank not both.
But when I tried it, they both worked simultaneously. Happy days.
Wasn't a fast fill rate so just let it run. Took about 20 hrs to transfer 2000+ litres.

Once the new tank was full, I made off the top outlet connection and disconnected the old oil line.
I also used the pump to blow out oil from the old line back to the tank so it was left empty.
[automerge]1601985278[/automerge]
One thing I have noticed is - the bowl on my Tigerloop used to run nearly full, now its nearly empty.
No bubbles to be seen so its not a leak. I suppose its because the burner now has to pull at least 300mbar to overcome the Atkinson anti-siphon valve on the top outlet tank.
Doesn't seem to affect the burner operation though I have still to get my gauges on it and the FGA.
[automerge]1601985587[/automerge]
You might also notice that in my original post, I said I had 1000 litres to transfer, yet I ended up transferring 2000+ litres.
So... how could this be?
Could it be that, while running the tank down to minimum, I forgot to cancel my regular oil delivery service???
Who would be so stupid???

Last edited:

Reply to Recommend me a fuel transfer pump. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock