Search the forum,

Discuss Recommend adhesive for drain pipe please in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I know this is a bodge but the previously 'glued' repair has held for 12 years. This was originally installed by a large gas company when installing a new boiler, it is the condensate drain pipe which is connected via the elbow to the kitchen sink waste pipe (below floor):

IMG_20220306_154334107.jpgIMG_20220306_154355712.jpg

Yes, it was just glued in. Apparently the drain pipe with OD of 56mm is not the best to obtain fittings for and thus the original installers plumped for the easy option!!

Unfortunately due to a blockage further up the drain pipe this elbow became detached from it's penetration when the washing machine started the drain cycle. I imagine the pressure in the blocked drain pipe became too much and the elbow was the weak point.

Anyhow, this is located in a pretty inaccessible place within a dwarf floor. I can get to it but I'm fairly slim.

Thus until I can sort a more professional fix, what would be the best option? My current thinking is Araldite quick epoxy, or would something like Evo Stik pipe weld adhesive or a proprietary solvent cement be better. It is low pressure drainage pipework (until it gets blocked!)

Thanks for any advice, Simon

Silicon plenty of it and after Soapy water to smooth off

It’s only temporary so will be fine also easier to clean off

Leak sealer and jointing compound ... Fernox LS-X Leak Sealer 50ml - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/fernox-ls-x-leak-sealer-50ml/23614?kpid=23614&cm_mmc=Google-_-Datafeed-_-Heating%20and%20Plumbing&ds_kid=43700063007513423&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249478&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249478&gclid=CjwKCAiAvaGRBhBlEiwAiY-yMISnuMkaT6fngNsHOReTi6i7pRWwF4TGvO1qkHzSs2D7tjBKD9v4WRoCKeQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

That looks the business although it appears to be for fitting to a 110mm soil pipe, as opposed to the 56mm pipe in question. Also, to gain good access for cutting the correct penetration shaped hole would require dismantling the kitchen sink unit and pulling up some kitchen floorboards / cutting another manhole..........the wife would not be amused.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion. I've recently received 2 pieces 'flexseal PC56' sleeve couplings and my intention is to cut out a section of the pipe to try and locate the blockage. Sounds like a good plan!!

IMG_20220306_153542410.jpg

IMG_20220306_153523309.jpg

I hope this works else I'm up s*$t creek!! Just waiting for the sani-snake to arrive, some extra couplings and some glue.

Apologies for the poor editing above, too many bloody ads obscure the forum (and I did pay a subscription)

Reply to Recommend adhesive for drain pipe please in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock