Search the forum,

Discuss Re-tiling (old tiles on plasterboard) in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,
I'm planning a bathroom refurb for my customer.
He has stud walls, which already have tiles on the plasterboard. New tiles are planned. I'm just pondering the best way forwards:
1. Do I remove the tiles (and the plasterboard with it) and put up new boarding (I like using 12mm cement board).
2. Or do I tile over the existing tiles. I'm not sure about this option, as couldn't be sure the plasterboard could support the extra weight.
He doesn't want shower boards (definitely tiles).
I'm veering towards option 1. But any advice would be much appreciated.
TIA, Jennie.

Attachments

• IMG_2566.JPG
    IMG_2566.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 5
Rip off the plasterboard and tiles you can try removing one but chances are it will damage it

and re plasterboard back with green board eg resistant if shower tank it as well

Have be a try, if done badly initially they may come off easily.
If not , rip it all off and re-board.
Just use plasterboard and tank it in any wet areas, just acrylic primer elsewhere.

Reply to Re-tiling (old tiles on plasterboard) in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock