Search the forum,

Discuss re-routing gas fire pipe in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Jennie

Gas Engineer
I'm due to fit my first gas fire (been servicing them for a while, but not yet fitted one). The previous fire's 8mm pipe runs from the right hand side of the chimney opening. Quite possibly, the new fire will take a side entry pipe. However, I'm curious - if I need to re-run the pipe, so it enters the rear of the firebox, what are the rules regarding running pipes in the chimney opening? I'm aware that I can't have soldered joints within the firebox. But what about within the chimney space? I've looked through all my gas books, but no luck in finding the answer, so some advice would be much appreciated.

Jennie,

The specific regulations are GS(IU)R 26.2 and 19.4.

Beyond that, the pipework needs to comply with BS6891 (iron, copper, stainless, mild steel - plated copper is ok too.) Fittings to match any of the pipe materials plus brass.

In essence, no flexible pipework, no gas pipe installation in a cavity wall, unless it is a living flame fire - then it needs to be as short as possible.

A means of isolation should be provided if at all possible.

You can come in from the left, the right or the rear.

Pipework must be protected against corrosion and sleeves sealed (a non setting fire resistant sealant) at the point of exit (not entry) to the flue box, ie. inside the fire box. All points of entry into the firebox must be sleeved.

There is a conflict in the regs as to whether you seal the point of entry into the flue box or exit. The balance of probability is that you seal the exit ( in my view you seal the entry!!)

Hope this helps, good luck

Last edited:
I'm due to fit my first gas fire (been servicing them for a while, but not yet fitted one). The previous fire's 8mm pipe runs from the right hand side of the chimney opening. Quite possibly, the new fire will take a side entry pipe. However, I'm curious - if I need to re-run the pipe, so it enters the rear of the firebox, what are the rules regarding running pipes in the chimney opening? I'm aware that I can't have soldered joints within the firebox. But what about within the chimney space? I've looked through all my gas books, but no luck in finding the answer, so some advice would be much appreciated.
I would make sure it is protected against corrosion by wrapping it in tape. Make sure you test it before and after you wrap it. Obviously clean out the catchment space of any debris or soot.

Hi all, Thanks so much everyone for your advice. What you said was my understanding of it all. However, I'd been advised to re-route the pipe for rear entry into the gas fire - which just didn't make sense to me. Surely once the pipe is run from the right, it stays there. But thanks for confirming the above. Jennie.

Reply to re-routing gas fire pipe in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and capped gas fire. The old gas line went straight out the back wall and was visibly capped a short distance from the gas meter. A simple pull out job. Upon...
Replies
Views
We have an old gas pipe in the understairs cupboard. The previous occupants had the gas meter moved, but this old pipe remained. This pipe goes behind the electrical CU which I'm due to have replaced soon. We are looking to cut the old pipe out, but trying to working out what material it's...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My customer has a gas fire with an external gas pipe (runs across the front of the fire - see pic). He'd like a new gas fire. No chance of re-running the pipe through the chimney opening. Any ideas of a gas fire that would suit? I've looked at a few, but would like the gas connections...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock