Search the forum,

Discuss Re dripping Franke Olympus tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Handy992

How is it possible to gain access to the ceramic disc assemblies on a Franke Olympus kitchen tap, in order to replace the one, on the COLD side, to correct a drip. (Drip is causing the loss of approximately 1 litre of water per 24 hours). There doesn't appear to be any hidden screws or obvious way of dismantling the tap to get at the 'mechanism'. Thanks for any advice on this puzzle!

Welcome Handy992.

If you go to the Central Services website it will show an exploded diagram of the tap. If you find the right tap it should give you some clues as to how to get it apart.

There is usually a retaining screw on the barrels on each side of the spout. You usually have to turn the supply off and turn the tap to the on position to gain access.

I hope this helps.

Welcome Handy992.

If you go to the Central Services website it will show an exploded diagram of the tap. If you find the right tap it should give you some clues as to how to get it apart.

There is usually a retaining screw on the barrels on each side of the spout. You usually have to turn the supply off and turn the tap to the on position to gain access.

I hope this helps.

Very many thanks for your prompt and helpful advice. My frustration is now much reduced! Handy992

Think I can help you.
The Franke Olympus are a bit strange. The exploded drawing will show a grub screw on the final barrel bit to remove (the parts the handles screw into), BUT some do not have any grub screw!
If you screw the handle out, then screw the housing out & if there is no grub screw in the remaining barrel that is pushed onto the gland, try to put a slotted screwdriver behind this & lever off gently. Only way I could remove a couple was tap the screwdriver with a hammer to tap the barrel off sideways! Fit a new gland & use silicone grease on all the outer parts for the next time.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your advice. However, using the information given by 'Paulus', earlier, I have now discovered that, on this particular model there is a small grub screw which is only visible when the cold water supply is turned off and the tap then turned on. Removing this screw enables the tap to be pulled of, the inner shroud unscrewed and the faulty valve (ceramic disc?) exposed.
Thanks again anyway!

That's good, - you are lucky to be able to remove it all easily. The one I looked at recently for a neighbour was only a few years old, like new, but barrel part wouldn't budge without a sharp tap despite no grub screw!

That's good, - you are lucky to be able to remove it all easily. The one I looked at recently for a neighbour was only a few years old, like new, but barrel part wouldn't budge without a sharp tap despite no grub screw!

Yeah, they can be a real pain sometimes but I'm glad you managed to sort it, Handy.

Having similar trouble dismantling same tap for same reason - got spout off [grub screw], got tap handle(s) off [grub screw on each], cartridge spindle teeth exposed, but still the 'inner shroud' Handy92 refers to not wanting to budge. In the Central Services exploded diagram of the Franke Olympus S this is part no.5
Can anyone confirm that this should simply unscrew? Doesn't seem to want to budge. Am I missing something?

Having spoken to a very helpful person at Central Services, it's now confirmed this part does unscrew.
I ended up winding a piece of old bike inner tube around it and then using a wrench (inner tube to protect the chrome from scratching/denting). Worked a treat.
Also confirmed at the same time, the need to then undo the main nut head of the exposed cartridge end - will be doing this soon - cartridge should then loosen and come out ready for replacement.

I have taken the grub screw out but cold tap handle won't budge. I can unscrew collar but can't get it off as handle still on.From what I have read it should just pull off. Any ideas?

I have taken the grub screw out but cold tap handle won't budge. I can unscrew collar but can't get it off as handle still on.From what I have read it should just pull off. Any ideas?

Hello. You need to register on forum using a username and start a new post to receive answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Re dripping Franke Olympus tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock