Search the forum,

Discuss rayburn central heating not heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lewisplumber

Hello all. I am on a job where the heating is not getting hot. The pump works the 3 port is capped on one side so i am assuming it is directed to heating only. There heating has not been on since last year. I drained hot off the cylinder so that the water would be demanded to the coil to heat the water and nothing. which would have brought heat through the central heating system. The Rayburn was serviced this year. Looking over the system the Ray is firing up but nothing is going through the flow and return heat wise. The system has been at least 12 years without power flushing. Any suggestions??:confused:

the A port on the mid position valve should go to the radiators and B should go to the the water heating coil
have you investigated whether the valve is being opened ?

I'm sure you've probably done this but if you have access to the primary flow and return up the wall behind the Rayburn (usually) you can feel the pipes and get some quick knowledge. For example, if they're both cold then the problem rests within the Rayburn and if both hot then the problem is in the airing cupboard. Probably teaching you to suck eggs but sometimes these simple things are forgotten if you don't come across them regularly!!

Is there a pump and are the pipes equal warm/hot temperatures everywhere?

Cheers for the help. Like you are saying if your not on it day in day out you get a bit forgetful. The pipes are barely warm at the Ray and the Ray is red hot. So i am guessing its the Ray but it has only been worked on in the last few weeks. But the customer has only just put on her heating. I am going back tomorrow and will let you know the score. Cheers people.

If you're still reading and if it's of any help - presumably you know these have two burners? One for the cooker and one for the heating and hot water. The pipes can warm a little just from the cooker, just as the cooker can warm a little when only the heating/hot water is on.

Yes as you look in the door there are 2 chambers. The bigger one is for the central heating. It fires up and thats it for a short while.

Good luck when you go there. I took one out earlier this year. It really bothered me not finding the problem. Radiators would warm up well for about an hour then the whole system would shut down for many hours. In the cold weather this wasn't funny. I changed one or two TRVs, sorted out the clash of a room stat and TRV, fitted larger rads to one room where they were undersized and all sorts.

Then I found a wiring fault. Sorted this out eventually.

Still had a problem. I was about the 4th plumber on the scene.

I worked with another plumber. Still no luck.

We took the machine out and replaced it with a different system in the end. Turned out that the electrician had come across one where Rayburns (480Kb) can develop a "fault" where the heat shield deforms and the heat from the cooker seeps into the heating/hot water area and triggers the high limit thermostat. When the cooker was off, the heating worked wonderfully but when the cooker was on (as it needed to be to help warm the room) then the heating turned off. Maddening!!

I'm not saying this one has that fault, but you have to have your wits about you with these things!!! Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff going to sleep well tonight. The pump was full of air as well. I flipped it round and it stopped. Now i am thinking that was wrong and there is something to do with the Rayburn.

Blockage. Needs powerflush.. Bet they dont do it before christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to rayburn central heating not heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock