Search the forum,

Discuss Rayburn 499k heating not firing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

I have a rayburn 499k with a nuway mx burner unit, within the last couple of weeks the boiler side has stopped firing.. no lights on control boxes/ over heat reset trip thrown. Cooker side still working perfectly.
There is no attempt to pre purge and no pump/ motors attempting to start at all.
Have previously tried to find an engineer for problems in the past with no luck in people wanting to touch it, so have always ended up tracing the fault myself, hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction initially.
Thanks

Sorry no overheat stat hasn’t tripped

Hi. You are a new member so all your posts need to be verified before we see them.
You first need to confirm whether or not you have a switch live back to cooker from your auxiliary controls ie, zone valve/valves.
Could you possibly look in the boiler manual for a wiring diagram and upload some pictures so I can take look.

@alexajs

Hi again. I've spoken to Rayburn technical who are happy to supply me the relevant information to guide you but they require the cooker serial number.
This can be found on the metal data plate on the backside of burner door. Could you supply me with this please and I can relay it onto technical who will supply me with the right manual.

Thanks, Simon

@alexajs

Hi again. I've spoken to Rayburn technical who are happy to supply me the relevant information to guide you but they require the cooker serial number.
This can be found on the metal data plate on the backside of burner door. Could you supply me with this please and I can relay it onto technical who will supply me with the right manual.

Thanks, Simon
Thanks Simon! The serial no. Is R0068260
very much appreciate the help with this one!

Thanks Simon! The serial no. Is R0068260
very much appreciate the help with this one!

No worries my friend. I'll email technical in a bit and hopefully have the right manual for you tomorrow and we can take it from there.
I have a couple suspicions already but it would be wrong to say unless I've got the right manual in front of me, especially when there's 4 or 5 variants for the burners in these units over the years.
[automerge]1595862340[/automerge]
Hello again.

I've had a response from technical, although its a different guy whom I spoke with last week and I'm not convinced he's given me the right information.
Attached is a flowchart for another of the burner variants and is simply an example of what we need.
Do you have the manual for the cooker at hand and if so can you find the electrical flow chart within it?
I'm waiting for technical to respond and have searched all over the Internet for the right manual myself but can't find what we need.
You clearly have an electrical fault and I suspect its after the plug to the boxes. With a multimeter have you confirmed you have a live and neutral to plug on the red and black wires?

Last edited:
This is the correct manual, I will double check the live this weekend to be sure... thanks for pointing in the right direction.

Attachments

• Rayburn460-99K MX OF Nuway inst.pdf
    364.9 KB · Views: 10
I have managed to source this exact manual, although crucially it doesn't contain the one flow chart to pin point exactly where the fault is and where to check.
If you have a switch live through stats and to burner plug wires, red (boiler live) and blue (neutral) and the pump (i assume in airing cupboard) is running then the problem is on the boiler control side.
It could be the control box at fault, alternatively it could be a relay etc.
You have ofcourse pressed the lockout reset button i assume?

Last edited:
Hi, I have the same problem on a Rayburn 499k, heating not starting, but cooker side working fine. I wonder did this ever get resolved?

Hi, I have the same problem on a Rayburn 499k, heating not starting, but cooker side working fine. I wonder did this ever get resolved?

Hi LiamY21. There are several different versions of the 499K over the years, with different burners and some things done slightly differently.
I would suggest going onto Aga/Rayburn website and booking an engineer repair visit.

Hi LiamY21. There are several different versions of the 499K over the years, with different burners and some things done slightly differently.
I would suggest going onto Aga/Rayburn website and booking an engineer repair visit.
Have engineer coming to diagnose, but was able to get heating started for a few mins, but then thermostat limit reset kicked in, but the noise the pipes in my house are making is really worrying, even after the heating stopped. Dont know if this is related, but the water tank overflow pipe was in full flow too.

Have engineer coming to diagnose, but was able to get heating started for a few mins, but then thermostat limit reset kicked in, but the noise the pipes in my house are making is really worrying, even after the heating stopped. Dont know if this is related, but the water tank overflow pipe was in full flow too.

You mean the white overflow pipe from feed and expansion tank was discharging?
The cooker overheat stat triggered did it?

You mean the white overflow pipe from feed and expansion tank was discharging?
The cooker overheat stat triggered did it?
yes the pipe from the expansion tank. cooker side is working fine, but the heating side runs for a few mins and then cuts out (heating thermostat limit), then pipes start banging loudly.

Ok. Is the overflow pipe running constantly? Could be a faulty floor valve if its happening even when the boiler is not running.
The noises you are hearing is almost certainly due to the main boiler stat failing and the water getting to hot before the limit stat cuts in.
The engineer will address the Rayburn fault but I'd be very surprised if he/she agreed to look at the system side of things.

Ok. Is the overflow pipe running constantly? Could be a faulty floor valve if its happening even when the boiler is not running.
The noises you are hearing is almost certainly due to the main boiler stat failing and the water getting to hot before the limit stat cuts in.
The engineer will address the Rayburn fault but I'd be very surprised if he/she agreed to look at the system side of things.
No the overflow pipe isnt running constantly

Ok. Then by the sounds of it I suspect its just the boiler stat has failed, water gets too hot, expands causing the overflow and the horrible noises you're hearing.
I advise you not to use boiler burner until the engineer has visited, when is that by the way?

Ok. Then by the sounds of it I suspect its just the boiler stat has failed, water gets too hot, expands causing the overflow and the horrible noises you're hearing.
I advise you not to use boiler burner until the engineer has visited, when is that by the way?
Ok, so engineer had quick look at Rayburn and has ordered new thermostat. one thing he did say, was that he couldnt service burner going forward, cos the new floor tiles are too high for him to remove burners....does that make sense to anyone with experience servicing a rayburn 499k? in fairness the new tiles are grouted to the plinth, but I think its is only a matter of breaking the grout/plinth interface.

Ok, so engineer had quick look at Rayburn and has ordered new thermostat. one thing he did say, was that he couldnt service burner going forward, cos the new floor tiles are too high for him to remove burners....does that make sense to anyone with experience servicing a rayburn 499k? in fairness the new tiles are grouted to the plinth, but I think its is only a matter of breaking the grout/plinth interface.

I imagine they are preventing the air plate at the bottom from being removed. These units are very, very compact inside and all access is needed. Perhaps a picture of the front of the cooker?
It's most likely that as you say removing the grout will be all that's needed mate.

I imagine they are preventing the air plate at the bottom from being removed. These units are very, very compact inside and all access is needed. Perhaps a picture of the front of the cooker?
It's most likely that as you say removing the grout will be all that's needed mate.
Yeah, ill break the grout and take of the air plate. pic attached

Attachments

• IMG_20210525_172214299.jpg
    IMG_20210525_172214299.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 5
Yeah, ill break the grout and take of the air plate. pic attached

Yes try that and be careful doing it and when the engineer returns see if he will service the burners.
Once you've broke the grout try removing the panel yourself, undo the screws ad release. If its removable you're laughing.
I really like these appliances, although I personally don't have too much experience with them, I know pressure jet burners and would be more than prepared to take my time getting to the bottom of issues. Unfortunately a lot of engineers don't like them and most who know what they're doing are close to, if not already at retirement age, so if the engineer gets you out of trouble then keep him around.

Hi I have a similar problem. My rayburn 499k keeps locking out when firing up. It's a balanced flue model, just had the solenoids changed and serviced but still a problem. Any suggestions

Which burner are you having the trouble with?

Changing all the solenoids is a bit OTT, one may have been at fault but highly unlikely all of them. Intermittent faults often prove to be the most frustrating as more often than not the cooker plays ball while the engineer is attending.
If you go on the Aga/Rayburn website you can book an engineer in for a visit. Unfortunately this is not something I can say for sure is the problem over the phone.

Changing all the solenoids is a bit OTT, one may have been at fault but highly unlikely all of them. Intermittent faults often prove to be the most frustrating as more often than not the cooker plays ball while the engineer is attending.
If you go on the Aga/Rayburn website you can book an engineer in for a visit. Unfortunately this is not something I can say for sure is the problem over the phone.
We have just had it serviced by a rayburn engineer and yes it was fine when he was here. Just wondered if there was anything else we could try what about changing the control box?

You say it's both burners that lockout? Chucking parts at a problem in the hope to fix it is not a good idea and can be costly, especially if you're doing it for two burners at once.

Reply to Rayburn 499k heating not firing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock