Search the forum,

Discuss RAVENHEAT - possible airlock? What could be root cause? Help diagnosing please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Magslowe

Hi, I'm a landlady and my tenant is worried his Ravenheat combi-boiler will explode because it made strange noises, then steam shot out and water came running down the wall.
This same thing happened back in March - so it's happened twice in 5 months. A gas safety registered engineer visited on Tuesday this week and said the pressure is fine after turning it off and on again and it ran normally during a 30 minute test. He therefore couldn't find anything obvious to repair and just said to use it as normal. He suspects an airlock on both occasions. I'm feeling worried though.... Can the boiler explode due to an airlock if a part inside the boiler is faulty? What are the likely causes of an airlock happening? Is this a rare problem in combi-boilers - never heard of it before!? Should I get a second opinion from another gas engineer?

Further info:
  • The hot water is set to maximum temperature, yet it's not very hot when coming out of the kitchen tap. Could this point to the root of the problem?
  • The gas engineer mentioned the diverter may be faulty but he wouldn't be able to tell just by examining it and doesn't want to replace parts without being sure they're at fault, due to the cost to me. I'm happy about that but nervous that we've not got to the root of the problem.
  • The gas engineer did notice that the pipe that sticks outside, which I understand lets water out when the pressure is too much, isn't the correct width - should be 15mm (or was it 12mm?) but it was less than that. Any comments about the risks of this pipe not being the correct width gratefully received i.e. should I get it replaced asap by a gas engineer because it's very risky or is the risk minor? What might happen?

Thanks for your help!

its probably a well known problem that a decent technician can id, however being its a ravenheat they are renown for leaking like sieves and any work on them normally causes more leaks as does over pressurising them due to your fault, but they fail safe and the water leaks down the outside wall as you said. If its an old one consider a new boiler or just get it repaired but expect leaks idc. omho of the ravenheat

apologies for not telling you the probable causes but your not gsr and therefore this site wont provide an answer as such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to RAVENHEAT - possible airlock? What could be root cause? Help diagnosing please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am looking for a heating engineer to diagnose and resolve an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 combi boiler. Job Location: Copeland Rd, London. Job Description: Problem: The boiler is not providing heating under normal conditions, although hot water supply is fine. Interestingly...
Replies
Views
Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed all checks, provided certs etc. The government/Green scheme sends 2 other gas boiler engineers to double and triple check things and One was Bosch...
Replies
Views
Hello there, I have quite a story and a looking for some advice here. On Thursday during the cold snap our hot water stopped working (in the sense of not water at all coming out of the taps). The central heating was working fine. As I have two newborns and having encountered this for the very...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock