Search the forum,

Discuss Rattling Central Heating Valve...I think? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ajborissow

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me what the below is please. Whenever the boiler switches on and the central heating fires up there is a really noisy vibrating / rattly noise that comes from it. It's so noisy now it wakes everyone in the morning when it comes on. If it's just the hot water then no noise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Andrew

IMG_2733.jpg

The boiler is just to the left of the pipe not even a foot away

I would say it is a none return valve that has failed or has something stuck in it. Have you a fully pumped system or is the hot water on gravity feed from the boiler?

I dont know to be honest, the boiler is down stairs in the kitchen and we have a hot water tank upstairs. We have 2 tanks (1 feeder) in the loft to feed boiler and taps etc

The valve will need replacing or if its a fully pumped system removing, perhaps get a heating engineer in to fix

Hi,

The valve appears to be an anti gravity valve which would suggest that your system is gravity circulation on the hot water.If you have 4 pipes coming from the boiler it is usually a good indicator,two gravity circs to cylinder and two to pumped heating. The gravity valves eventually stick and means that you get a judder as the hot water rising to your cylinder forces its way through the valve. You are still able to get these from plumbers merchants but it is likely to be an order in item and not something they will have on the shelf.
Get a heating engineer in to change it for you as the drain down can be problematic (defective drain cocks) and subsequent refilling can be prone to airlocking.

Hope this helps
Rogerp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rattling Central Heating Valve...I think? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock