Search the forum,

Discuss Random radiators/towel rail not turning off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fabs35

Hi

I have had a complete bathroom refurb done and have an issue with the towel rail that has been fitted as well as three radiators (on three different floors - we have a townhouse) - since the rail was connected by the fitters, they don't turn off when the heating is switched off. The only way to turn them off is to turn off the boiler (in which case approx 2 hours later they cool down) or turn down the thermostats on the individual radiators.

I have a Baxi Solo 3 70 PF boiler in the kitchen. Upstairs there is a water tank/heater with some boxes attached: Grundfos selectric (x2), Xcel heatbank, Grundfos Type AT, Flexvent, Fernox, and Sunvic. Every 30minutes or so the "fan on" and "pilot on" lights turns on and off and it keeps clicking - it does this about 10 times, turning on and off every 2-3 seconds. We moved into he property about 2.5 years ago and the system was in place then - we haven't had it flushed, only serviced when we moved in.

I have attached a pic - hoping someone can help...?

Water heater and pumps.jpg

I agree, not much more to say, could they have fitted the t/rail to the hot water circuit?

I agree, not much more to say, could they have fitted the t/rail to the hot water circuit?

Possibly but the other three (regular) radiators haven't had their plumbing changed and have always worked off of the heating circuit.

They are coming round this evening but am sure they will continue to say it is either due to air in the system or a faulty thermostat.

We'll see!

get them to check to flow and rtn temps and check the flow and rtn tems when the heatings off, could be your motorisied valved is passing in the heating from the hot water circuit

I did turn off the hot water circuit as well and they stayed on so I'm not sure that's it but I can ask.

They said they did drain the system before the install.

Hi

I have had a complete bathroom refurb done and have an issue with the towel rail that has been fitted as well as three radiators (on three different floors - we have a townhouse) - since the rail was connected by the fitters, they don't turn off when the heating is switched off. The only way to turn them off is to turn off the boiler (in which case approx 2 hours later they cool down) or turn down the thermostats on the individual radiators.

I have a Baxi Solo 3 70 PF boiler in the kitchen. Upstairs there is a water tank/heater with some boxes attached: Grundfos selectric (x2), Xcel heatbank, Grundfos Type AT, Flexvent, Fernox, and Sunvic. Every 30minutes or so the "fan on" and "pilot on" lights turns on and off and it keeps clicking - it does this about 10 times, turning on and off every 2-3 seconds. We moved into he property about 2.5 years ago and the system was in place then - we haven't had it flushed, only serviced when we moved in.

I have attached a pic - hoping someone can help...?

View attachment 13250

If this is the way modern domestic hot water and heating is been provided I am glad I am out of it, these systems are far too complex for their own good , look at the state of all that wiring, glad you posted the photo on its side at least I won't need to look at it too long to take it all in it makes my brain and neck hurt. This has got to be South of Watford Gap we would surly not fit something like this up North, plumber and electrician in perfect harmony my bum. Sorry its not helping you with your case fabs this ain't fabs in anyway, close the cupboard door please and take the photo again

Last edited by a moderator:
Water heater and pumps flipped.jpg

There is a pump leaking on the right and it looks like its going into the electrical box, push fittings, a meccano set would look better, so sad my trade been abused, this is not plumbing

Fab35,

I can't tell whats what in the photo its a mess, I would love to come there and caress all that pipe work find out how it works, who put it in and caress their necks, if I put in words what I think it will end up like this ***** ******* ******* ******* the forum will edit it out, how old is all that lot and where do you live, bet I was right.

Tony

I am having flash backs on this one, come to think of it the guys who fitted this lot might even be GAS SAFE hell the thought of it sends shiver down yo' spine, why should Britain tremble when we have so much talent??? off with their heads:behead: or public floggings at dawn :53: better still bring back hanging

looks like a thermal store, typical new build installation from the last 10-15 years at a guess?

looks like a thermal store, typical new build installation from the last 10-15 years at a guess?

Bet your right there AW and as you say TYPICAL, wonder what that means, young guys coming into the trade see photos like this , must be OK, make it their model.

to me it means it was installed buy somebody on a bad price who probably does not fully understand how it works. so the work standards or the standard of the labour would not be great. Typical of about 80% of all new build work.

my old company would pay £45 to £60 for a cylinder/store installtion, thats why it would be left to kids ect..... to fit. If i ever did one it would be done on day rate so i could sleep when i got home :)

Last edited:
A lasting consultation prize for the client, there needs to be some mechanism for these lowering standards to stop them slipping further but it isn't going to happen.

the client has some blame in it, you pay peanuts you get monkeys as they say.

standards on most new builds have always been poor and always will be really. You can only worry about your own work tbh. the price some companies put in for new build work is crazy. 2-4 % profit margin is very typical especially for national builders. Even before the credit crunch you would see as low as 7%.

standards on most new builds have always been poor and always will be really. You can only worry about your own work tbh. the price some companies put in for new build work is crazy. 2-4 % profit margin is very typical especially for national builders. Even before the credit crunch you would see as low as 7%.

Im in middlesex - just outside NW London. We bought the house in 2011 and it was all already there. The house was built in 2000 and sold to the previous owners in Dec 2000.

30 years or so ago, the standards on new builds was of a pretty high standard :hurray:

things changed though in the early eighties when they brought in the 714 etc

the standards have been decreasing slowly ever since, probably at an all time low at the moment.

Johnny,

That is only three of us who think things are bad, hell that's not good news, the others must think it's OK ,or don't know or don't care.

I look at it rather simplistically, if you have low enough esteem to install something like this when its on show, what will you do when it's not one show, AW thinks it's nothing to do with esteem, its money, I think he may be right.

Welcome to the real World Tony and smell the putty, what's putty dad, tell you when you are a bit older lad!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Random radiators/towel rail not turning off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock