Search the forum,

Discuss Random noisy CH pipes when everything is off. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have an ideal logic 18 boiler in the utility room going to an unvented Tribune HE cylinder in the upstairs airing cupboard.
I moved into the house as a new build just over 2 years ago.

The heating and hot water are all working fine and the system pressure is within specs.

About 6 months ago we became aware of a very intermittent noise coming from around the boiler area. It’s not a rattling or a banging more of a low level vibration, which seems to happen in cycles, building up and then disappearing.
This happens with no central heating or hot water on and no taps being on or even just turned off.

Sometimes this will happen multiple times and others only once. Sometimes there will be days with no noise at all.
It seems to happen during the late evening and morning, but only for a short period which has made it really difficult to diagnose.

The sound also seems to have shifted up into the utility room ceiling area but it’s still difficult to locate exactly where it’s coming from only that’s itseems to be in the wall/ceiling void.
I’ve checked in the airing cupboard but can hear nothing untoward there.
It’s impossible to replicate on demand and only seems to happen late at night or early in the morning .

One thing I have noticed lately is that when I turn the hot water on in the Utility Room the noise seemed to stop. (I need to try this a couple of times to be sure because of the intermittent nature of the noise). The noise might then return immediately or will not happen again for some time.
When I tried this with the Hot water tap in the kitchen it made no difference.

I thought it sounded like the ball valve in the cold water tank not sealing correctly before I realised that my system doesn’t have one :D:D

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this or is it time to get a heating engineer out?

Thanks

Pressure creeping up on the unvented cylinder?
Try shutting the stop tap and don’t open any taps

Reply to Random noisy CH pipes when everything is off. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock