Search the forum,

Discuss Random bath plug hole smell and gurgling in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We moved into a new house a few months ago, we have a main bathroom (which is not used) it has a problem with the bath plug hole emitting a sewer/egg smell about every 7 days, running water down the plug hole clears the smell but only for about 7 days then it comes back again.

Now a second issue has just started in the same plug hole in that randomly the plug hole will start glugging (seems every couple of days), again running a small amount of water stops the glugging.

Just looking for advice where to start with this, ptrap issue? vent issue? not sure where to start.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

I’m guessing when your flushing the toilet / using the other bathrooms it’s pulling the trap out of the main bathroom bath

Is it a brand new house ?

Hi,

We moved into a new house a few months ago, we have a main bathroom (which is not used) it has a problem with the bath plug hole emitting a sewer/egg smell about every 7 days, running water down the plug hole clears the smell but only for about 7 days then it comes back again.

Now a second issue has just started in the same plug hole in that randomly the plug hole will start glugging (seems every couple of days), again running a small amount of water stops the glugging.

Just looking for advice where to start with this, ptrap issue? vent issue? not sure where to start.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks
You state it is not used this bathroom, there is part of your answer, traps are designed to be used and that means being topped up with water to maintain the air trap. They can also evapourate over time when not used and can be sucked dry by other units being used. its best to just pour some water in from time to time with some diluted cheap bleach , problem solved. centralheatking

You state it is not used this bathroom, there is part of your answer, traps are designed to be used and that means being topped up with water to maintain the air trap. They can also evapourate over time when not used and can be sucked dry by other units being used. its best to just pour some water in from time to time with some diluted cheap bleach , problem solved. centralheatking

Good advice but the glugging is also a problem. Either positive or negative pressure blowing or pulling on the trap. Suggests either a vent/air admittance valve problem or an undersized waste pipe issue where multiple wastes have possibly been connected to a single pipe.

That's for the replies, I understand the bathrooms are meant to be used, however should the trap dry out within a week (which seems to be the case).

An update on this, we had very heavy rain (flooding) recently which caused our soakaway to fill up which also seemed to cause the same bath plug to start glugging, running a small amount of water down the plug would stop the glugging for about 24 hrs, decided to leave the plug in for a few days before leaving it open again, since then glugging and smell have stopped (been 2 weeks now) - now idea why or its just temporary

That's for the replies, I understand the bathrooms are meant to be used, however should the trap dry out within a week (which seems to be the case).

An update on this, we had very heavy rain (flooding) recently which caused our soakaway to fill up which also seemed to cause the same bath plug to start glugging, running a small amount of water down the plug would stop the glugging for about 24 hrs, decided to leave the plug in for a few days before leaving it open again, since then glugging and smell have stopped (been 2 weeks now) - now idea why or its just temporary
I would be concerned if my bath was discharging to a rainwater soakaway rather than the foul drain.
by reading your post it would seem quite likely. centralheatking

Thanks, yes it's a bit of a concern, I don't know if it's all linked or just a coincidence due to the very heavy rain and I don't know why the smell/gurgling seems to have stopped for no obvious reason, it's a mystery

Reply to Random bath plug hole smell and gurgling in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock