Search the forum,

Discuss Rain Leaking Through Flue & Onto Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Bit of a weird issue with my flue.

I live in a 1st floor flat and over the last 12 months or so more & more rain water has been leaking through my flue and on to my boiler.

The leaking only happens when the rain is driving directly towards the flue. When the rain does drop back through it shorts the boiler out along with the rest of the flat

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening and what the solution to the problem is?

I have been advised to put sealant around the flue to stop the rain water leaking but wasnt sure if this is a good idea or not

Any help would be appreciated

Any pictures externally of the flue ?

According to the manufacturers instructions the flue should sealed into the outside wall, use cement to secure it into place both inside and out, that should prevent any water getting through,
I have had instances where rainwater runs down the outer section of the flue and drips out of the bottom of the boiler too.

Let us know how you get on

If it always happens have an enginner fit a plume kit to re direct your flue terminal outside

That won’t cure anything pal, a plume kit just diverts the middle section of the flue which is connected to the condensate drain through the boiler, so any water getting into that section would naturally drain out. It’s more likely getting into the air section or between the outer and the brickwork.

A pic or two from the OP would help in the diagnosis

Thanks for all your replies

Here's some pictures of the flue.
[automerge]1570953554[/automerge]
Also say no gutter above the pipe. Think I've got a video I can post so you can see where it is leaking internally.

Video is to big to post. But here is a picture of where the water is dripping inside the boiler.

Sometimes it drips to the side of the black circle and sometimes into it. If it drips into it, it then fills with water

Attachments

• 20190810_111224(0).jpg
    20190810_111224(0).jpg
    857.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190810_111222.jpg
    20190810_111222.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20190810_111221(0).jpg
    20190810_111221(0).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20190810_111142.jpg
    20190810_111142.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20190810_111138.jpg
    20190810_111138.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20191013-085557_VLC.jpg
    Screenshot_20191013-085557_VLC.jpg
    985 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20191013-085530_VLC.jpg
    Screenshot_20191013-085530_VLC.jpg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
That won’t cure anything pal, a plume kit just diverts the middle section of the flue which is connected to the condensate drain through the boiler, so any water getting into that section would naturally drain out. It’s more likely getting into the air section or between the outer and the brickwork.

A pic or two from the OP would help in the diagnosis
Agreed mate, you can get sheilds that go around the air intake.
Just finished gas re sits on fri.
So its fresh,
Thought id mention it
[automerge]1570955786[/automerge]
Agreed mate, you can get sheilds that go around the air intake.
Just finished gas re sits on fri.
So its fresh,
Thought id mention it
Like to. Add. Never seen or fitted one just it was talked about on the Course

Reply to Rain Leaking Through Flue & Onto Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock