Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators won't bleed unless the system is on in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello. I am sorry to open this with an admission: I made a dumb mistake and am seeking any help possible, thanks in advance ---

The pressure dropped on my boiler, so I opened the usual valve and let it climb up to 1.5 bars. I've not been in this house long, so the boiler is new to me. I closed the valve... or so I thought. I came back later to find an error, and the pressure over 3 bars and climbing. Water was dripping from the boiler pipes in more than one place.

Mildly panicked, I switched off the heating then went around the house and opened the bleed valves on all the radiators. Water came out of one of them, but not the rest. I left the valves open and watched the pressure meter drop over several hours down to 2, and no lower. I closed all the valves, and turned the heating back on. The boiler powers up, and the pressures sits between 2-2.5, but... the radiators do not get hot.

If I bleed the radiators now while the heating is off, nothing happens. No air, no water, no change.

However, if I open a valve while the heating is on, plenty of air comes out, and the radiator will get hot. I've read this is a bad idea, but it seems to be the only way to get hot water into the radiator at all. However, it will not last after I close the bleed valve up again.

If I just turn the heating on and wait several hours, after a time, it seems the boiler will give an error, F37 - which apparently means low pressure (Ferroli boiler) despite still hovering around the 2 bar mark.

Is there a way I can try to reset things again? Any advice would be appreciated. We've just moved house and are hitting a huge number of unexpected costs already, I would really like to avoid professional repairs/new boiler if I can.

Sounds like the gauge is faulty time to call a pro out

Did the system work ie. all radiators getting up to temperature evenly before this episode?
They did, but pressure was dropping regularly apparently.
Sounds like the gauge is faulty time to call a pro out
I think you’re right, I’ve booked someone.

It’s frustrating because I can get the pressure right, and if I open a bleed valve I can get the radiator hot and quite evenly too, but it won’t stay on.

Well, I appreciate the input anyways, cheers

Reply to Radiators won't bleed unless the system is on in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock