Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators vs Underfloor heating large space in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

J

JamesR8

Is underfloor heating much better than radiators for a largish open plan space? The room is 46 m sq, L shape open plan space with 4.6m of bifolds and another 2m and 3m run of bifold on the L, pitched roof on 3m of the space meaning a bit more than standard ceiling height there, total volume of space is 122m3. Are radiators likely to be worse at heating a big space like this with a large runs of glass?

Is the slab already insulated and tbh on sunny days your going to get quite a bit of thermal gain due to the amount of doors / glass so it go be hard to regulate the heat if you have rads

Wet underfloor is the best thing for this space - but you need to insulate under the slab , then it is surprisingly responsive.
I did this at home when I built a kitchen extension and it is fabulous. My only regret is that at the time I couldn’t be bothered to dig up all the existing floors and put in underfloor everywhere- I should have.

My living room is a large space 7.5 metre by 5 metre, and insulated to current building regs - 150mm in the floor. I was undecided between floating T&G glues and rads vs under floor heating. The central heating system is going to be driven from radiator manifolds with 15mm drops to the rads. Each room has a thermostat controlling its rads.

The issues my friends have had with screeds, and the fear of leaks and issues, I went with T&G floating floor. I currently have a gym in the lounge where we dead live 200KG = no squeaks = on T&G. When under floor goes wrong by the gods you better have deep pockets.

My main issue will be getting rid of the heat in the summer.

Reply to Radiators vs Underfloor heating large space in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock