Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators under windows still? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Knappers

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi, I've seen and heard several people actively discouraging fitting rads under windows with some claiming it as a 'last resort'.
I get their logic but I think its misplaced.
I still reccomend placing under windows as I want to eliminate draughts and believe that having the air curtain and heat source at coldest part of room (and not blocked by furniture) is best for comfort and still the best place for rads.

I get that it's not that important these days and am happy putting rads anywhere in room but do see it as a style choice and not for sound engineering reasons.

I appreciate its probably more efficient not to but in a world where efficiency is key let's not forget it's still function first! (Theres no doubt that walking around in ski gear would be the most efficient way to save energy on heating but let's be sensible)

There are exceptions of course, like thick floor to ceiling curtains would make it less of a sound option but even then I'd still lean towards a rad on same wall.

What's your opinion, do I need educating, is there a better way?

Putting panels under windows was original idea due to creating a heat shield to the cold air from the window.
The effect of a panel under a window behind curtains - particularly with a pelmet installed - nullifies most of the effect of the radiator.

I do put many radiators under windows, but generally try and find a spot in a room without furniture or a spot where furniture will never be placed.

Putting panels under windows was original idea due to creating a heat shield to the cold air from the window.
The effect of a panel under a window behind curtains - particularly with a pelmet installed - nullifies most of the effect of the radiator.

I do put many radiators under windows, but generally try and find a spot in a room without furniture or a spot where furniture will never be placed.
So you'd prefer not under window?

Not necessarily.
Floor to ceiling curtains - yes

Blinds or shutters - most probably.

Depending on what the room is used for and furniture layout.

I prefer under windows. For motives of efficiency!

If it's opposite the window, you'll feel colder with the same room temperature, so then you turn the heating up further in order to compensate and the result is you use more energy instead of less. Unless you set your heating by what number you think the thermostat should say instead of what feels comfortable.

Of course, if people fitted their curtains properly (with pelmets and brass runners) to sit on a good wide window sill instead of going for these pseudo-rustic wooden sticks with gaps all around, or chose shutters, that would help immensely.

Under windows because normally the coldest part of the room which aids covection. No as important with good double glazing but still a good place aslong as you don't have long curtains and keep radiator off the floor (rads near floor effect output / air flow) also in bedrooms furniture is not normally in the window space which leaves it as the best option.
Obviously in large rooms more than one rad is preferable.

So it seems that under windows still makes sense for all the reasons I thought it should.
I'll happily go back to believing that the people who claim to know better have just made it up (as I suspected).

Reply to Radiators under windows still? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock