Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators Question - Should I Change Them? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I had a new boiler (Baxi Duotec) installed with radiators a while ago. One room stays fairly warm and that has one of the original rads in it. All the others were replaced and the other rooms seem to not stay so warm.
I said at that the time, this seems to keep the heat for longer and he said something about it being "a good one".

The old one seems to be an iron one without the fins. 80s style I suppose.

The ones he installed seem to be generic ones that look just like these:
https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/central-heating-radiators/cat830988

However, these new ones barely seem to retain the heat. I'm wondering, is it because they're rubbish or because these are convector ones and are supposed to move the heat around the room better.

Is it worth replacing the radiators? I need to insulate the house better but seeing how the old radiator kept warm for ages after the new radiators had already got cold made me wonder about it.

Thanks.

What's the issue, is it that your rooms are cold or are you just noticing your radiators cool down quickly after the heating goes off?
New radiators hold less water, as a benefit they heat up quicker and are more effiecent this way but on the downside they don't retain heat as long as the older ones.

The rooms are cold, yes but I was wondering if it's because the new radiators do cool down more quickly. So I guess you've answered the question. Thanks. Maybe being naive, but I can't help thinking the "old" radiators are better, though.

The rooms are cold, yes but I was wondering if it's because the new radiators do cool down more quickly. So I guess you've answered the question. Thanks. Maybe being naive, but I can't help thinking the "old" radiators are better, though.
If your rooms are cold then your radiators won't have been sized correctly

maybe you should try running your heating on a lower setting for longer, are the rads hot/warm all over ...along the top and in the middle at the bottom is the best place to check. If your gaff is not properly insulated may be the heat calculation only allowed for a fully insulated dwelling
let us all know....Rob Foster
aka centralheatking

Maybe the boiler has been set up to condensate.
The non-condensing boilers were run at a higher temperature which provided more heat from a radiator.
Maybe check the temp settings on the boiler, you may have to up them with a system that was originally designed for higer water temp

Reply to Radiators Question - Should I Change Them? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock