Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators hot when hot water on in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My rads throughout the house are blisteringly hot when hot water is on, and keep going regardless of thermostat temp; when hot water is off they do not heat, even when heating is set to on and thermostat up high; I have 2 x 2-way motorised valves in the airing cupboard, both replaced in 2019.. Have taken the motors off, applied WD40 to the metal notch coming out of the valve and twisted each with fingers to make sure they're free (which they are). Do I need to replace one or both motors (in which case which one?), which I can do - or the whole valve - which I'm not capable of doing? - thanks in advance, any advice gratefully received

Staring from cold, put the hot water on, leave it say 10 minutes and feel the heating pipe the closed side of the 2 port, if this is warm or hot, you have a valve letting by.

Staring from cold, put the hot water on, leave it say 10 minutes and feel the heating pipe the closed side of the 2 port, if this is warm or hot, you have a valve letting by.
I'll give it a try - thanks for the advice. I'm guessing if this is the case then the whole valve needs replacing? My big challenge is - I don't know which is the heating pipe...judging by the direction of the arrows on the valves, one IS feeding into the 'primary flow' at the bottom of my heatrae sadia megaflow tank, the other seems to be feeding FROM the 'primary return' halfway up the tank - I say 'seems' as the pipework around that valve is like spaghetti junction

If rads only heat when HW on, and do not heat when only Rads on, then boiler cannot be getting its power from the Rad 2-port valve (orange wire). The Rad 2-port must be physically open if they're getting hot, but maybe the motor is not managing to drive to the end of travel and operate the microswitch. (incidentally on some valves the manual lever does not move far enough to operate the microswitch either)
I would try replacing just the head on the valve you decide is on the rad. circuit !

PS Have you tried running the system with the head off the Rad 2-port, to see if it kicks into life. Just wondered if the 2-port is stopping the head from being able to travel fully to microswitch?
1670938193328.gif

If rads only heat when HW on, and do not heat when only Rads on, then boiler cannot be getting its power from the Rad 2-port valve (orange wire). The Rad 2-port must be physically open if they're getting hot, but maybe the motor is not managing to drive to the end of travel and operate the microswitch. (incidentally on some valves the manual lever does not move far enough to operate the microswitch either)
I would try replacing just the head on the valve you decide is on the rad. circuit !

PS Have you tried running the system with the head off the Rad 2-port, to see if it kicks into life. Just wondered if the 2-port is stopping the head from being able to travel fully to microswitch?
View attachment 80015
Quick update - all working! Thanks for all the advice. Motor switched and all good

Reply to Radiators hot when hot water on in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock