Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators hot upstairs and cold downstairs in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I've a pressurised CH system with a combination vented cylinder.
I live in a two story house with 4 radiators upstairs and 4 downstairs. I recently had the CH pressurised and the cylinder also was replaced.
The problems is that the radiators upstairs are getting nice hot but the ones downstairs are not. The pump is working as I can hear it. I bled the radiators and left the lockshiled of the radiators upstairs a quarter closed and the TRVs are at 3. The lockshields for the radiators downstairs are fully open and the TRVs are at maximum. The boiler is Worcester 18ri and is downstairs.
Any advise on what I can try to troubleshoot the problem will be greatly appreciated.

Pump weak I would say

Tbh you should be fine then and speed 2 should be more than enough for 8 rads if you close all the rads upstairs do downstairs heat up ?

Two of the radiators downstairs started warming up. One of two that did not warm up I felt had a very stiff lockshield when I was trying to balance, but I manage to leave it fully open (the lockshield). The furthest one did not warm up.

Currently my thermostat is upstairs and the heating basically is not running at the moment. Should I move it downstairs and give the system the chance to run?

All this started after the CH side was pressurised but might be coincidence. After we had it pressurised we were losing pressure which was diagnosed to ruptured cylinder coil, hence the cylinder was replaced. Now the system is back up but trying to resolve the cold radiators story.

Was the system chemically cleaned?
What is the system pressure?

Is the pump set as indicated for speed 2, solid green + solid yellow, LEDs?

1665870667415.png

Thank you John
As we speak the system is running a Sentinel x400 for a few days now (since Thursday when we had the new cylinder installed). I have a Magnaclean as well since August which I've been cleaning periodically. I was planning to clean in a week time and add more Sentinel.

The system pressure is around 1.3-1.4 Bar.

Yes, set as at CC II with the led lights accordingly. I tried PP 2, which made the pump very quiet (which I liked) but I am not sure that is a correct setting to use at all?

Are you picking up much in the Magnaclean?

CC2 setting should be more than enough, its 5.2M, CC3 at 6.4M will give you ~ 13% more flow but don't think thats your problem. PP2 is pretty useless.

Not collecting really much (black) but that was with the HW only back in August. The cylinder was installed only on Thursday... I will check in a week time, or having the cleaner ran now for 2-3 days I can already check and clean?

I would check and clean it especially if its circulating the rads now, is there any other "strainer" in the Magnaclean to trap any other non magnetic material.

I know it's unlikely but there has been a fair share of dud UPS3s if your old pump is still around maybe worth re installing it as a test.

Most A rated pumps display the power in watts, unfortunately the UPS3 does not, but if you have a energy monitor you might be able to see the pump power in watts, otherwise maybe one of those plug in ones and connect the pump lead in to it temporarily, you should be getting betwwen 35 and 40 watts IMO on CC2.
Also, ensure that the pump is installed pumping in the correct direction.

The flow/return boiler temps, if displayed will give a clue as well re circulation rate.

1665882446122.png

Last edited:
Two of the radiators downstairs started warming up. One of two that did not warm up I felt had a very stiff lockshield when I was trying to balance, but I manage to leave it fully open (the lockshield). The furthest one did not warm up.

Currently my thermostat is upstairs and the heating basically is not running at the moment. Should I move it downstairs and give the system the chance to run?

All this started after the CH side was pressurised but might be coincidence. After we had it pressurised we were losing pressure which was diagnosed to ruptured cylinder coil, hence the cylinder was replaced. Now the system is back up but trying to resolve the cold radiators story.

I would if you could and just run downstairs eg shut all the trvs upstairs if you can

Maybe worth a try again with pump on CC3, shut all u/stairs again and pump through each rad in turn downstairs with the others shut off, there may be air still trapped somewhere, if you dont want excessive gas? boiler cycling while doing this you could switch it off and manually latch open any relevant zone valves and give the pump a independent power supply.
Are the downstairs rads separately zoned?.

Another clue to pump condition is to watch the boiler pressure when the pump starts and watch for rise in pressure, but depends on where the E.vessel is installed.

Is there a automatic bypass valve (ABV) installed?.

Last edited:
I think it is from the gland/stem and tried to tighten it up, including all other nuts however it is still seeping... I think the whole valve will have to be replaced. Problem is I am having a difficulty finding a good heating engineer/plumber. Been a huge struggle.

Reply to Radiators hot upstairs and cold downstairs in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Hi. Turned my heating on for the 1st time today, i bled every radiator as haven't done it since last winter. upstairs worked fine but an hour or 2 later I noticed downstairs was still cold. I looked for some advice online and turned the trv's off and locksheilds for the upstairs only and...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water (mains) from downstairs tap but no hot water from downstairs tap, and no water at all from all the upstairs taps, I have a combi boiler and no water storage
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs covering at leave twice the floor area As per diagram has free flow Up or Down, no way to balance. Works pretty well but last few Rads (in kitchen) are...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock