Search the forum,

Discuss Radiators heat up even when programmer's setting is off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a conventional heater with a water tank, an old programmer and no room thermostat. I have been trying to heat only the water and keep the radiators cold, but the radiators still heat up even if I turn off the 'Heating' setting on the programmer and only leave the 'Hot Water' setting on. Is there usually a way to turn off the radiators completely with a valve?

Does turning every individual radiator off increase the rate at which the water heats up?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Almost certainly you have a 3-port valve and it is broken. It's likely that it has been put in the manual position at some point because of that.

You'll probably need to get a plumber out to change it but it won't be too costly.

Almost certainly you have a 3-port valve and it is broken. It's likely that it has been put in the manual position at some point because of that.

You'll probably need to get a plumber out to change it but it won't be too costly.

I do have a 3-port valve now that I Googled how it looks, and it acts weird.

There is a lever, the valve looks exactly like this, with one side named 'MAN OPEN' and the other 'AUTO'. When I turn on the hot water, it moves to 'AUTO' and when heating is on, it moves to 'MAN OPEN' and it's more complicated when both are on.

Isn't the lever supposed to be controlled by a person and always set to 'AUTO'?

Can someone explain what the two settings mean and if it's broken or outdated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Nigh-on impossible to say on a forum. Likely the body is letting by when on water; so you're heating is heating up. Microswitch might have had it.

It's very likely broken, they break a lot. I would get the body and head changed; preferably for an ACL/Drayton style one where the heads can be changed easily in future.

Like I said, it isn't a massively costly repair. I will PM you roughly what you would pay a plumber to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiators heat up even when programmer's setting is off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Could someone help with a issue I have been having with my vertical radiator. I have one vertical radiator in my bungalow and it does not heat up unless the surrounding radiators are shut off. I have tried turning the surrounding radiators down but the have to be completely or very...
Replies
Views
It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank upstairs in the house. We have an issue where if the boiler isn’t set to 80c then the boiler will short cycle, the hot water tank thermostat is set at...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock