Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator problems please help in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

OK,
We had central heating fitted 3 years ago, all new boiler and radiators,prior we had no heating installed.
The boiler has just had its service for 3 years and failed on the water inside the system being too dirty. He thought the system hadn't had a flush after fitting.
The company says it was done, so my question is is it normal for it to fail the test after 3 years, as the company are denying everything and saying it's a build up.
Also one radiator is packed with grease underneath where the valve goes into the radiator is been told this is done to mask a slow leak, can anyone confirm this is the case?

Thanks in advance.
Tally

Attachments

• 20210816_151545~2.jpg
    20210816_151545~2.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 33
Looks like it’s leaking to me also you don’t technically need to flush a new system that much as it’s all new kit

Well, if it’s been used to stem a slow leak - this would cause dirty system water as every time you need to bleed it, or boiler loses pressure you’ll be adding fresh oxygenated water, and also diluting the inhibitor (if added originally).

Looks like it’s leaking to me also you don’t technically need to flush a new system that much as it’s all new kit

What if the installer was over zealous with flux and solder?
My opinion is its stupid not to flush even a new system, the quality of water left in a system after installation is probably more important than the design of the system itself.

My opinion is its stupid not to flush even a new system, the quality of water left in a system after installation is probably more important than the design of the system itself.
Tbf mate, he didn’t say not to do it, just not as thorough.

Tbf mate, he didn’t say not to do it, just not as thorough.

I know, I was just casting my opinion. My point was that the quality of water is vital. Doesn't matter how good or neat the design was, if the water is fouled and we all know lots of things contribute to corrosion, then you will get problems.
In Germany they have a required procedure called VDI treatment. If all installs in this country were done the same there would be a lot less problems, however the kit to commission the water is not cheap.

You would still flush it through with mains but I think the op was talking about a power flush etc

All new systems should be flushed to remove flux and any chemicals in system, it should be run first for a few hours then flushed out, radiator probably needs fresh PTFE on fitting.
They say a hot and cold flush was done on installation, I don't remember it being done.
The radiator, and ONLY that radiator is caked in grease, I've checked all the other and they're all clean as a whistle.
Having spoken to a retired central heating fitter he informed me that's what they do when there's a slow leak to bung up the leak. I have no idea, but do find it strange that ONLY that radiator has the grease on, and it's where the valve fits inside the radiator!??

They say a hot and cold flush was done on installation, I don't remember it being done.
The radiator, and ONLY that radiator is caked in grease, I've checked all the other and they're all clean as a whistle.
Having spoken to a retired central heating fitter he informed me that's what they do when there's a slow leak to bung up the leak. I have no idea, but do find it strange that ONLY that radiator has the grease on, and it's where the valve fits inside the radiator!??
This is the best shot I can get of grease hard to grab a shot !

Attachments

• 20210818_145545.jpg
    20210818_145545.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 18
How is your system topped up?, if manual, how often are you topping it up?, but it may have a auto fill valve.
Also why does the boiler fail because of dirty water, is it giving trouble?.

How is your system topped up?, if manual, how often are you topping it up?, but it may have a auto fill valve.
Also why does the boiler fail because of dirty water, is it giving trouble?.
We've only had it 3 years, not needed to top it up yet.
It's on a 7 year warranty, so if a warranty repair is needed and the water is still dirty they can refuse warranty repair.

We've only had it 3 years, not needed to top it up yet.
It's on a 7 year warranty, so if a warranty repair is needed and the water is still dirty they can refuse warranty repair.
If not auto top up that is a remarkable time, I would get your system flushed out, refill with inhibitor added, and replace your boiler when it finally packs after 10 years or so. Get a local in to service it.

I would also check out the top up method because if its auto it could well be masking a far more serious leak than that drop of grease.

Last edited:
A good flush out and clean will sort your problem out get the radiator removed and examined , is there a magnetic filter fitted ? Your boiler should not be failing after 3 years
When I say failed, he said it hasn't passed a turbidity test, that had now been logged so if there is a warranty repair needed and the water is still dirty, they can refuse a warranty repair.
We are flushing, (not power flushing) the system today and re-adding fresh inhibitor.
I've since found out via a reputable fitter that the company had a bad name within the local traders, so lesson learned I guess! ☹😡

Reply to Radiator problems please help in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock