Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator problem - busted lock shield / return valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I am not an expert so I apologise if any of my post come across as naive.

I have a pretty new boiler and there is one radiator on the system that never warms up and it hasn't for a long time but have just ignored it. It is most likely the last radiator in on the system.

After having a look at it over the weekend I have kind of diagnosed the problem as follows.

The old towel radiator was rusted and past its best (this didn't heat up either ) so I replaced with a new towel radiator , same width etc so no need to mess about with the pipes. Eventually got it on the wall and connected the pipes and things and on initial filling (ie radiator was empty) the radiator was hot but over time it cooled even though the flow valve was fully open.

I tried the trick of turning off all the radiators in the house and only leaving that one on and it has no effect. So whilst trying to workout what was going on I opened the return side of the radiator just so a little water was coming out and the pipes on the flow side instantly started to warm up.

This has made me think that the problem is with the flow back into the system and this is stopping the radiator staying warm. (like i said i am no expert)

Also one other thing when i open the return valve with the radiator detached water flows back (at a trickle not very fast) not sure if that adds any useful info.

Any ideas on what could be going on ?

Thanks

The return valve must be open for the radiator to work or am I reading that wrong

The return valve must be open for the radiator to work or am I reading that wrong

Yes they are both open fully.

What i meant when open was the return valve before i put the radiator on (just as a test) the water flowing out of it was a trickle.

Then you have a circulation problem. Is it small bore

Then you have a circulation problem. Is it small bore

Yeah the pipes are thin, the guy that did it was a real waste of space and took advantage of my elderly father and just used the thin pipes and left it. So i think over the years of it not being used probably has sludge and stuff in it , i changed the radiator but I guess I will need to get someone in to sort the pipes out

It sounds as if your system needs balancing.

Ok i have added some pics for you

IMG_0865.jpg

This is the valve with the problem
IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

This is the flow valve the pressure from here is good
IMG_0863.jpg

Reply to Radiator problem - busted lock shield / return valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock