Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator only getting slighly warm with patchy heat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Had a new radiator installed recently as part of a garage conversion. It was fine at first, however, it now hardly gets hot and the heat is patchy.

The radiator has been bled several times. As far as I recall, it gets warm at the top and remains cold at the bottom, and its warmer on the left than it is on the right.

Could something be blocked in the radiator? Does it need to be drained flushed out?

Sounds like an issue with either the flow or return. The radiator isn't circulating properly. Could be an airlock or a balancing issue. First try turning off all other radiators in the house and see if the radiator starts working. Then report back and let us know what happens.

Sounds like an issue with either the flow or return. The radiator isn't circulating properly. Could be an airlock or a balancing issue. First try turning off all other radiators in the house and see if the radiator starts working. Then report back and let us know what happens.

I shall try this.

If the radiator gets hot as it should with all the other radiators off, what would be the next steps.

Should it be the same, what would then happen?

I know i'm asking up front but just trying to understand what the issues could be.

I shall try this.

If the radiator gets hot as it should with all the other radiators off, what would be the next steps.

Should it be the same, what would then happen?

I know i'm asking up front but just trying to understand what the issues could be.
It will likely get hot with every other radiator off. What your checking for is if it stays hot after you've turned the other radiators back on. If it's air it should force it out and the radiator will stay hot. If it's balancing then the radiator will cool down within half hour of opening the other radiators back up.

It will likely get hot with every other radiator off. What your checking for is if it stays hot after you've turned the other radiators back on. If it's air it should force it out and the radiator will stay hot. If it's balancing then the radiator will cool down within half hour of opening the other radiators back up.

I'll report back when i get back to the house in the next day or so!

Had a new radiator installed recently as part of a garage conversion. It was fine at first, however, it now hardly gets hot and the heat is patchy.

The radiator has been bled several times. As far as I recall, it gets warm at the top and remains cold at the bottom, and its warmer on the left than it is on the right.

Could something be blocked in the radiator? Does it need to be drained flushed out?
Sounds just like a sludge problem which might have migrated to ur new rad, unusual but , hot at top cool at bottom are the usual symptoms
just like my Mrs
centralheatking

Had some very posh lady ring me today, as I’ve lots of ufh experience( my mate told her to ring me) the builder has made a mess of the screed and not good enough for karndean flooring. The builder has agreed to breaker the screed up and says you’ll be able to reuse the 8 loops after it’s been removed

I swiftly told her that new pipes should be installed, as the chances of removing 70m2 of screed without damaging would be next to zero

a bit delayed but an update. Problem sorted.

Turned out that the value had seized in the off position. No idea how it even got turned but a bit of welly and re-opening it sorted it. Now a hot rad all over!

Reply to Radiator only getting slighly warm with patchy heat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I live in a flat that has communal heating through a single pipe system. I recently had replaced a deco flat panel (waffle) radiator with a more mundane type 22 panel radiator. The problem is that the new radiator sort of worked in the beginning, but it does not emit any heat now...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
S
Hello, So we have a two year old boiler and have cleaned / flushed the system twice recently but not all radiators will heat at the same time. All radiators have the ability to heat when the others are isolated so not likely the TRV. have been attempting to balance but seems like maybe not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock