• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss Radiator not working in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Diyer171

Hi All,
I recently installed a radiator and it only seems to be Luke warm along the base whilst the rest is stone cold. I have repressurised the system and bled the radiator the thermostat is set to the max setting and the other valve is turned all the way anti clockwise ( I have also tried it all the way clockwise). All other radiators are hot even the one on the other side of the same wall. Any ideas are welcome. I have since installed another radiator that works just fine so I can’t seem to think what the issue could be.97C1F378-18BB-4F9E-845D-1CB896024996.jpeg

ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Are the pipes kinked at the bottom ? (10mm)

SimonG

SimonG

Plumber
Did it have a specific flow and return connection and its connected in reverse?

Have you disconnected valves and checked you have good flow through both valves?

Have you shut down all other rads on the system leaving that one open in case it's an airlock?

B

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
It is either flow /return the wrong way around, of fitted upside down.

Who’d have thought these vertical rads would be so finickety?

The thing is they’re not marked quite often, in which case you need to look inside with torch / mirror ( or poke a wire in) to see where the baffle is located.

Stu-B

Stu-B

Agree with ben-gee, these are flow/return specific, get them wrong and the dont warm up

OP
D

Diyer171

It is either flow /return the wrong way around, of fitted upside down.

Who’d have thought these vertical rads would be so finickety?

The thing is they’re not marked quite often, in which case you need to look inside with torch / mirror ( or poke a wire in) to see where the baffle is located.
[/QUOT
Hi All,
I recently installed a radiator and it only seems to be Luke warm along the base whilst the rest is stone cold. I have repressurised the system and bled the radiator the thermostat is set to the max setting and the other valve is turned all the way anti clockwise ( I have also tried it all the way clockwise). All other radiators are hot even the one on the other side of the same wall. Any ideas are welcome. I have since installed another radiator that works just fine so I can’t seem to think what the issue could be.View attachment 45538
thanks all for your help, I have just checked the valves and they are bi-directional so if I’m not mistaken then flow and return shouldn’t be a problem and the old radiator had the thermostat valve on the same side. I don’t think the copper is kinked as the rad filled up quite fast. So I think it must be upside down. Having looked at it now I noticed that it’s mirrored and thinking back the bleeding valve and the blanking plug came loose so I must have put them on myself. Is there anyway of checking before emptying the rad and turning it around? Surely there should be a “this way up” sign!
Being Australian I am pretty lost when it comes to radiators. Thanks in advance.

Gasmk1

Gasmk1

Gas Engineer
If it’s mark it will just be a little indentation on the spreader

B

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
The flow/return possible issue is not related to the valves, it’s the physical radiator itself.

The water comes in along the bottom rail and there is a baffle quite close to one end, this directs the water up through the rest of the rad before it exits at the other end of the bottom rail. If flow and return are the wrong way around then the water “short circuits”, it goes across most of the rad before it hits the baffle, this results in the rad heating up very slowly indeed.

If basically ONLY the bottom rail gets hot then you probably have it upside down, as there is usually no baffle in the top rail ( possibly your bottom rail!) so the water goes straight through. (You get a small amount of heat transference through the metal of the rad of course)
You should be able to feel the difference between ‘upside down‘ and flow/return wrong by feeling rad when you initially switch it on.

OP
D

Diyer171

So I have pulled the radiator off and I can see right through where the bleed valve and locking but is which makes me think it’s not upside down. The baffle is on the left and so is the thermostat valve so I’m really not sure what the problem is.

Reply to Radiator not working in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net. Plumbing questions, answers, tips and tricks.

Most Viewed Threads