Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator Not Working Consistently in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Just found this forum and it looks great! Forgive me if I could have found this answer by looking longer—I've searched for a while.

I am in a cold walk-up apartment on the 4th floor of a turn-of-the-century building in Brooklyn. Not sure how old the heating/boiler system is. In my apartment, I have 2 radiators that either don't work consistently or that I don't know how to work consistently. My super seems to be able to get them roaring, to where they're too hot, but I'd like to learn how to control them myself (and get some heat in here!).

Each is built into the wall, behind a removable metal covering, and has a supply valve with a knob at the bottom right and what I think may be an air valve at the top left (last photo). When the super has gotten them too hot in the past, I've closed the supply valves down some, but when I try to heat them back up by opening the supply valves, nothing happens. Several other tenants complain about the heat working intermittently in our building.

Can anyone tell by looking if this is something I can control with the air valve on the top left? Do I need a particular kind of tool to open/bleed it? Or does this sound like a more central issue to the building/boiler system?

Thanks for reading and any advice!

Neil

Attachments

• IMG-5768.jpg
    IMG-5768.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-5769.jpg
    IMG-5769.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-5770.jpg
    IMG-5770.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5771 copy.jpg
    IMG_5771 copy.jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 4
The air bleed is easy from your local ironmongers you just need a bleed key they should know what you are asking for. The other is the blue handled gate valve which will control the flow through the radiator also worth cleans the radiator with your vac

The air bleed is easy from your local ironmongers you just need a bleed key they should know what you are asking for. The other is the blue handled gate valve which will control the flow through the radiator also worth cleans the radiator with your vac
Thanks, Gasmk1! Very helpful.

Is it common to need to bleed the radiator each time I turn the gate valve all the way down?

Reply to Radiator Not Working Consistently in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock