Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator not heating up and loss of pressure in boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

One of our radiators is not heating up, it just gets a little warm. We've also noticed loss of pressure in the boiler, we have to keep manually increasing the pressure.

Could both issues be related? We don't see any sign of water leak around the problem radiator.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

It could be the cause of the pressure loss if there’s a leak under the floor that feeds it. Check the copper pipe that exits outside, see if that drips. Radiator might just need bleeding for the loss of heat.

Thanks for your reply.

There's no copper pipe. It has plastic pipes which run into the wall, not the floor. I've attached two photos of the pipes.

I tried to bleed the radiator but water immediately poured out. Does that mean there is no air trapped in it?

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_173712.jpg
    IMG_20210110_173712.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210110_173719.jpg
    IMG_20210110_173719.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 14
Yes, I meant the copper pipe from under the boiler, also known as safety discharge pipe.

We have basket under the boiler, which is never wet so I don't think any pipe is dripping. I've attached a photo of the pipes under the boiler, which one is the safety discharge pipe?

Any idea about the radiator? It doesn't have air in it and it doesn't visibly leak. It does for some reason gets slightly warm at the top but remains cold at the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_20210111_202816.jpg
    IMG_20210111_202816.jpg
    528.1 KB · Views: 10
Its the one on right hand side check it outside to see if its dripping
Have you tried running heating with all radiators turned off except the one giving trouble? Also probable first take thermostatic head of valve on right hand side check pin under head moves easily tap gently to move.

I'll check the boiler pipe outside tomorrow in daylight.

The radiator thermostatic head does not come off. Is it supposed to?

You guys were right, there is a drip every few seconds on the pipe outside the property.

So what does this mean? How is this fixed?

Prv needs replacing. Time for a competent gas safe registered engineer get them to sort out non working rad at same time.

Pressure release valve could just be a faulty valve but there are other reasons it could have operated as I said needs competent gas safe registered engineer.

Reply to Radiator not heating up and loss of pressure in boiler in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock