Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator Noise/Issue in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone!

I purchased this steam vent valve: Hoffman Steam Air Vent 40, 1/8" Angle Steam Radiator Air Valve 401440. Installed it and the hissing is much reduced but now, the hissing happens every 10-20 seconds for about two seconds. Its annoying enough to wake me up at night (I wish I were a heavy sleeper). See attached video of slight hissing: (I know the papers underneath the legs look hideous lol, I just needed something to elevate the radiator).

In attempts to turn off the radiator, I have:
  • turned the lockshield valve counter-clockwise all the way, until I can’t anymore
  • tried to use a screwdriver to unscrew the lockshield valve cap but that doesn’t work in removing it
  • used pliers to screw the bolt counter-clockwise underneath the cap. I don’t know whether this actually helps or hurts but I am desperate so I tried anything.

The radiator continues to blow steam. Even if I turn the valve all the way to the right, leaving it fully open, the first issue still happens. I’m really considering just breaking the whole radiator and forcing building management to fix it. The superintendent has told me, “that’s just how it is”. Meanwhile, from the first Reddit post, there was the wrong steam vent valve installed in the first place, which he did.

Please let me know how to resolve. It is ruining my sleep and I am seriously close to causing real damage just to get some action done. Please see the pictures of the valve and cap, if anyone has any ideas. Thank you!

EDIT: I know I have turned the valve cap in the OFF direction because there are directions on the cap indicating which way is ON and OFF. I just forgot which way it told me to while I was writing this post. Sorry if I am not posting this in the correct forum.

Attachments

• IMG_7106.JPG
    IMG_7106.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7105.JPG
    IMG_7105.JPG
    483.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7104.mp4
    42.8 MB

Reply to Radiator Noise/Issue in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock