Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator leak from top in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

So this radiator is only just over one year old and have noticed it started leaking from the top, and rust started forming.
I think it's a Kudox radiator, obviously low quality. My plumber bought from Screwfix and him and I have fallen out so calling him back is not an option. Also I suppose there is some warranty with these radiators, but if I don't have the receipts as he bought them all then I can't get a replacement can I?

Now, luckily I have this British Gas homecare 4 cover, with a £60 excess and radiators included. Does anyone know what they are going to do about it - will they replace it or simply try to temporarily fix it and then have the same problem again a month down the line?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6024.JPG
    IMG_6024.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6023.JPG
    IMG_6023.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 19
It not a leak on the radiator.
It a leak from the plug connection.

It's not a big issue, so if you aren't speaking to your plumber - call your insurance to repair.

Most likely they will tighten or replace the plug - not the radiator

New radiator cap.
Or you could just replace the o ring.
Valve at bottom of rad looks fairly new, I'd recommend having a go yourself, if the valves at the bottom hold its a 5 minute job for anyone with an adjustable spanner and a rag.
Are you game?
Edit or just give it a nip up first?
Very unlikely to get any joy from BG

Last edited:
So this radiator is only just over one year old and have noticed it started leaking from the top, and rust started forming.
I think it's a Kudox radiator, obviously low quality. My plumber bought from Screwfix and him and I have fallen out so calling him back is not an option. Also I suppose there is some warranty with these radiators, but if I don't have the receipts as he bought them all then I can't get a replacement can I?

Now, luckily I have this British Gas homecare 4 cover, with a £60 excess and radiators included. Does anyone know what they are going to do about it - will they replace it or simply try to temporarily fix it and then have the same problem again a month down the line?

Thanks!
Its a diy fix. Close off both valves either side of this rad just to be safe. Undo the naughty radiator blank, clean up around the thread and tighten up again, open the valves test, if still leaks then repeat process but use new Rubber ring or PTFe tape
or sillycone sealant ..all will be ok then. centralheatking

You guys blind ^^^^^^^^^ , its rusty , fixing the leak will not stop the rust .
To the op , yes as above for fixing the leak , with the plug out I would rub the rust off with some production paper and use some hammerite to paint the afected area.

I generally use a de-burring tool to clean the face of the thread on all radiator connections,
I have found that the powder coating, if not removed, can cut into the rubber o-ring and cause leaks.
Probably the situation in this case.

Mind you, the tone of the post was a little awkward.
Blaming Plumber and cheap radiators for the issue and wanting a new Rad.
If one of my customers had this problem, I would just fix it free of charge - if they were decent!

I generally use a de-burring tool to clean the face of the thread on all radiator connections,
I have found that the powder coating, if not removed, can cut into the rubber o-ring and cause leaks.
Probably the situation in this case.

Mind you, the tone of the post was a little awkward.
Blaming Plumber and cheap radiators for the issue and wanting a new Rad.
If one of my customers had this problem, I would just fix it free of charge - if they were decent!
But would you supply micky mouse radiators in the first place ..I think not. chking

Reply to Radiator leak from top in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock