Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator flow problem in single radiator in 8mm microbore heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gigabyte

Hi there ... I have a single radiator in a 4 bedroom house that won't heat up. In fact, it never heated up even when the house was newly built, but somehow got neglected and forgotten about.

I know that:
a) the radiator is not blocked,
b) the valves are open (they are not thermostatically controlled),
c) the radiator will fill with hot water (from empty),
d) it will eventually go cold again once the heat has left the radiator.

This suggests to me that there is no flow throught the radiator during normal operation, and there's no difference even if I close the valves on all the other radiators.

To check the pipe leaving the radiator is not blocked, all I've been able to do is see it drain about a gallon of water when disconnected from the radiator. I think that if the pipe were totally blocked, then this flow would eventually stop. Instead, it flows continuously, although at a much slower rate than the flow at the hot end. Even at this slow rate, I would expect to feel some continuous heat in the radiator.

Note that this radiator could possibly be the furthest from the pump ...

Any tips on how to go about identifying the problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is it downstairs?
And does the pipework appear from the wall?
If so , it's probably on a drop from above. First try would be turn off the hot water at the programmer and turn on the heating, turn up the room thermostat to maximum. Then manually turn off every radiator including towel rails. This should push any air from the pipework. If this works and the radiator gets hot, leave it on for 10 minutes, then turn the other rads back on.

If it doesn't work with all the other rads off method, then I would disconnect the valves from the radiator again and this time let the water flow for several minutes.
One thing that can happen rarely, but still very possible, is if the rad valve on the return is faulty inside, - if the brass 'washer' part inside valve was disconnected it would allow water out if you disconnect it from rad, but won't allow water going direction of return, back towards boiler. Worth considering. I had this happen on brand new quality valve.

Last edited:
It could be piped up wrong, ive seen rads piped from the flow on both sides instead of from the return on one. 30 year old house had this piped up when built

I think you may be right croppie. The thing is, all the pipes are kinked where they emerge from behind the plasterboard. On this particular rad, I did replace the kinked sections, but it did no good. I guess there could still be too much head loss on this particular loop ...

Also, Gasman's answer has also crossed my mind, but with tongue-and-groove chipboard flooring laid, I've not been able to locate the manifold! Also, with the microbore piping behing the plasterboard walls, I've not been able to easily trace the route of the return pipe.

To answer Chalked, yes, the rad is downstairs (in the same room as the boiler). I followed your tips, but still no joy.

Re: Best's comment, I'll have to take a closer look next chance I get.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator flow problem in single radiator in 8mm microbore heating system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a job for a customer. their radiators are not all heating up. in total there is 12 radiators. 4 of these are on 15mm pipework, the rest are on 10mm. its powered by a Grundfos ups3 pump. the boiler is an 18kw heat only boiler. There are two radiators mainly...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
I have recently bought my own house and decided to redo the kitchen. There was a radiator in the room already but I wanted to move it. I extended the pipes (8mm microbore) and plumbed in the new radiator. I opened the isolation valves and filled up the radiator with no issues. I've bled every...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock