Search the forum,

Discuss Rad water on carpets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattWeth

It's not happened to me yet, but despite being carefull with towels and dust sheets, I know it's bound to at some point.

Is there any 'product' that I could carry that might get me out of trouble if I get black water on a carpet?
I've got a wet vac, so I was wondering about one of those spray on cleaning mouses or something?

cheers
Matt

Plenty of clean water and a wet vac has helped me out on the very rare occasion that a drop of sludge has missed the dust sheets.

As said lots of water And a wet vac
Do use a damp cloth and run in

Failing that a bit of super glue on the cat,hamsters or dogs belly and stick over stain can also do the trick

:shuriken:

Last edited by a moderator:
Leak detection fluid is amazing for this. I once did a powderflush and a fitting blew in a bedroom. Cream carpet, black sludge on a section of carpet about the size of a DVD case. Cleaned it up a treat with ldf

Sainsburys own brand carpet cleaner came out tops in a which test a while ago. I had a major spillage a couple of years back when the bottom fell out of a thermal store I was removing. Cleaned that up a treat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Leak detection fluid is amazing for this. I once did a powderflush and a fitting blew in a bedroom. Cream carpet, black sludge on a section of carpet about the size of a DVD case. Cleaned it up a treat with ldf

At last a practical use for LDF.

It's not happened to me yet, but despite being carefull with towels and dust sheets, I know it's bound to at some point. Is there any 'product' that I could carry that might get me out of trouble if I get black water on a carpet? I've got a wet vac, so I was wondering about one of those spray on cleaning mouses or something? cheers Matt
I use absorbent mats every time I open up anything with water in it. They look like a pillow and absorb up to 150% of their mass, in other words they soak up anything that lands on one and absolutely no water gets through one to stain a carpet or a piece of bathroom furniture. Terrific for soaking up the contents of a dirty rad or for preventing spilled water going through a ceiling. One mat can be used for a few jobs depending on how wet it gets.

my dust sheets are crap the water just goes through them.

wonder wipes have helped me out before, also my wet vac

I've just been working with a plumber who uses pampers nappies and swears by them, puts them under anywhere there is possibility of spillage.

I carry Vanish carpet cleaner, only ever needed it once but did the job on sludgy stain.

while we are on the subject of cleanness its good to have a spray bottle of bleach handy when your in those bathrooms that are stinking of pish lol

the best way to clean it all is !

MR muscul -Glas cleaner and wet vac .

spray mr muscol on the spot and get your fingers on it going left to right and front and back ... soon it will turn to a white foam then get your wet vac and suck it all in ! then use a clean tower to dry it and job done !

Thanks guys - plenty of ideas there.

I think I'll get hold of some of that Sainsburys carpet cleaner, some glass cleaner and some absorbent pads (no harm in belt and braces :) )

Where do you get your absorbent pads System?

cheers
Matt

If you get it quickly, it doesnt stain. If allowed to dry you will have problems.

Carpet shampoo with wet and dry vac does the trick. My vac has a shampooing attachment which is perfect.

Came to a job last year where they customer had a leak, cleaned up and the carpet was 2 shades lighter in the area where I cleaned. The lady asked me to do the entire carpet, which I agreed to but only for the same rate as my normal plumbing tasks.

my dust sheets are crap the water just goes through them.

wonder wipes have helped me out before, also my wet vac

These are waterproof [DLMURL]http://www.dickiedyer.com/blue.htm[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a nightmare just before xmas. as part of a bathroom refurb i took out an old 22mm heating pipe that was now unused after swap to combi. completely bone dry didnt think anything of it, just took downstairs and put in the van. i had dust sheets everywhere so no carpet visible

at the end of the day took the stair runner up whilst chatting to customer only to reveal big black spots all over her lovely cream carpet.
some dried black sludge had gone onto the dust sheets penetrated through and stained the carpet.

cost me ÂŁ70 to get the carpet cleaned it was all up the stairs and on the landing. i never even saw the stuff come out of the pipe nor noticed it on the dust sheet what with all the other bits and stains

so be careful even with old dry pipes !!

just wondering if i can get a thankyou for just being here?

thankyou :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rad water on carpets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water meter. Then another person called me to schedule a visit and they told me that its not their problem as both the water meter and the leaky stopcock are...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by local authority. I had no say in who carried out the work. I have called the builder out under the guarantee several times for water leaks. The shower...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
So a strange conundrum regarding water temp if anyone can help resolve, would be much appreciated. Ive tried to give as much info as possible to give a full picture but let me know if ive missed anything. I have a Baxi Avanta 25h heat only boiler. Works fine. Unvented 300ltr megaflow. Stated...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the radiator and the water was black/brown. I took the radiator off and flushed it out with a hose pipe out the garden but it's got me thinking and I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock