Search the forum,

Discuss Rad valves with O-rings in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Some RAD valves come with O-rings, whereas the majority do not and I just wonder if one is better than the other or whether it makes no difference whatsoever?
Reason I ask the question is that I have spent ages looking at valves and have settled on the ones in the link, but I’ve never used valves before with O-rings and so before I hit the buy button I just want to check with you guys: Valves

TIA

1. It doesn't really make any difference.
2. If you use the ones with O rings, the radiator surface where the O rings sit must be smooth. Very often they aren't.
3. There's nothing wrong with the ordinary sort. Its just a matter of wrapping sufficient PTFE tape around the threads to make a leak free fit.
4. The number of turns of PTFE depends on how tight the threads are without anything. Fairly tight, and you might start with 8 wraps, fairly loose and start with 15 to 20. In proportion for a different fit.
5. There are other sealing methods:
5a. Loctite 55 cord - allows for some (max 1/2 turn) backing off. Not needed for radiator tails.
5b. Loctite 577 or Flomasta Pipe Seal. Liquid sealant. Very easy to use, gives a good seal, expensive.

1. It doesn't really make any difference.
2. If you use the ones with O rings, the radiator surface where the O rings sit must be smooth. Very often they aren't.
3. There's nothing wrong with the ordinary sort. Its just a matter of wrapping sufficient PTFE tape around the threads to make a leak free fit.
4. The number of turns of PTFE depends on how tight the threads are without anything. Fairly tight, and you might start with 8 wraps, fairly loose and start with 15 to 20. In proportion for a different fit.
5. There are other sealing methods:
5a. Loctite 55 cord - allows for some (max 1/2 turn) backing off. Not needed for radiator tails.
5b. Loctite 577 or Flomasta Pipe Seal. Liquid sealant. Very easy to use, gives a good seal, expensive.
Appreciate the detailed response.

When using ptfe on rad valves, is it worth adding a dab of something like Hawk White, or is it unnecessary or maybe a pain if you ever have to remove the valve again? I already have Hawk White, as well as hemp, but not used either yet.

Reply to Rad valves with O-rings in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic control. The hot was not getting hot enough recently so (under instructions from the manufacturer) I removed the allen key valves bottom left and right...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have a Vado summit bath tap with hand diverter. Recently the diverter stopped working and after liaising with Vado, I managed to remove it. When I removed it , it appeared that the O ring had come off the diverter and when placed back , it works fine. My question is that please can...
Replies
Views
I'm in Canada, where the standard is NPT. I just put in a heat pump and shut off the hand valves but I want the rads in the room to warm up if the heat pump can't keep up. NPT thermostatic rad valves are available but are hellish expensive. The sizes I have are 3/4" and 1". The system used to be...
Replies
Views
S
Hi does any one No where I can get a old style brown thermostatic valve screw in type for model number WL1500RC I’ve asked crosswater AND THEY SENT ME THE WRONG ONE 🙈 but insist it isn’t part number SC50-t20 It doesn’t screw in and has a funny o ring on a 45 degree angle Many thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock