Search the forum,

Discuss Rad on plaster board wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommy1712

I got a customer wanting me to fit a column rad to a wall that's been "dot and dabbed" I am not overly happy because it's not like normal rad brackets that spread the load these are small brackets that use m10 bolts. There is only a 10mm gap to the solid wall behind and he seems to think I can just bolt it straight to the wall, I am not happy with this as the bracket needs to be solid to the wall not 20mm away from the wall!!!!! Any ideas what to do to get round this????

I got a customer wanting me to fit a column rad to a wall that's been "dot and dabbed" I am not overly happy because it's not like normal rad brackets that spread the load these are small brackets that use m10 bolts. There is only a 10mm gap to the solid wall behind and he seems to think I can just bolt it straight to the wall, I am not happy with this as the bracket needs to be solid to the wall not 20mm away from the wall!!!!! Any ideas what to do to get round this????

you should be able to both through to the wall ensuring your rawl plug is well enough anchored. However, i ended up using 100mm fischer bolts as i was bolting heavy rads with a 25 mm gap.
Failing that, what about cutting a 1' hole behind where the bracket would be and using a 10mm packer, that would stop the bracket pulling the PB towards the wall?

you realy need packers to stop the bracket crushing the board ive use a hole saw to cut discs of wood thick enough to take up the depth of board and gap then hole saw the plasterboard if you use something like bthin ply you can build up to the right depth use a hole saw that will be covered by the brackets
bit of gripfill squirted behind the board helps as well

How big are the brackets, cut out section of plasterboard behind bracket ( a bit smaller than the outline of the bracket) fill with dab adhesive making sure adhesive goes behind board as well, trowel flush with wall and once set you can drill through adhesive into solid wall and plug as normal, wont go any where

Best solution.

Drill a 28mm hole in wall preferably with hole saw. Gauge depth to masonry. Cut some 28mm tube to req length. Hammer it in to hole left by saw. Drill center with 10mm bit. Fire in some resin shove in stud . Cut stud to length washer and nut then done head nut. Won't move ever. If only 40kg rad use concrete screws and 7.5mm hole with red plug?

Some anchors need to be pushed against or set with setting tool tho.

Mark round brackets on wall cut out 5mm in fill with drylining round screw & plug, or drill once set

Never had a single problem in 6 years just using frame fixings. 100mm fixings and large screws mean at least 75mm of the fixing and screw will be in the brickwork. The radiator won't be budging..

The plasterboard is the wall.. The customer is right on this one. Just use frame fixings, usually 100mm to screw straight through the plasterboard into the masonry wall. Once the bracket is on and these are done up tight you won't be moving the bracket at all, that's for sure. We've fitted rads this way for 6 years and have never had a callback. We offer a free 2 year warranty on all of our work so you can guarantee we would get called back if there was a problem with this method.

Anybody used those new plasterboard fixings that they reckon can hold 150kg!!!! I have no doubt the fixings can but not the plasterboard.

To the op I would get holesaw out, small block of wood then rawlbolt through it. The rad won't move then.

I've used them matey. They are a real pain to fix to be honest, or at least they were to insulation backed plasterboard (board with 50mm insulation on the back). Plasterboard is incredibly strong in shear, i.e. resisting the force of gravity pulling a radiator straight downwards off a wall. If in doubt try ripping plasterboard apart by stretching it along it's length, it's the same thing. Good luck on that :)

Is that the ones that were on dragons den. ? Common issue with plasterboard which we always look for a better fixing but at end of day the plasterboard is the problem .
Regarding the column rads . I'd mark where brackets are going and masonry drill all my holes and put raw plugs right into stonewall and just b4 i screw brackets on I'd pump some sticks like sh$t in the hole and screw up brackets and leave to set for an hour or so . You can use really quick drying adhesive (15mins) all weather adhesive . Brilliant stuff even wet surfaces

Anybody used those new plasterboard fixings that they reckon can hold 150kg!!!! I have no doubt the fixings can but not the plasterboard.

To the op I would get holesaw out, small block of wood then rawlbolt through it. The rad won't move then.

Yeah I used them once too, was not that impressed! Very fiddlily & I found the Fischer type umbrella fixing to be stronger on plasterboard.

There called Grip-it & claim up to 180kg lol! They also got backed by a dragon on Dragons den!!

Yeah I used them once too, was not that impressed! Very fiddlily & I found the Fischer type umbrella fixing to be stronger on plasterboard.

There called Grip-it & claim up to 180kg lol! They also got backed by a dragon on Dragons den!!

Grip-it! That's the thing. I would never put 180kg on a plaster board wall that's like an oil combi!

Had a good laugh at most of thease replies,had the problem recently,cut out section of plaster board,had it roughed with 'Hard wall' compound,then skimmed to blend in,then you have a perfect hard wall to fix too...

Thorsmann duomax toggles are good. Frame fixings are also good. But if you've got the time and patience then cut out the plasterboard and get some timber in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rad on plaster board wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm currently refurbishing a room and in the process adding some internal wall insulation. The wall has been stripped and my plumber is coming this week to install/reconfigure the pipework for new radiators. The walls are solid brick and as I am installing insulated plasterboards, we agreed...
Replies
Views
https://www.wickes.co.uk/STS-Construction-Board-1200-x-800-x-12mm/p/225437 Found this. Just wondered if it can be used instead of tile backer boards. I realise that I need a 1wmm board to make up a gap between wall and shower tray, but the STS tile backer board is only 10mm. I did consider dot...
Replies
Views
I apologise in advance that this might not make sense or be full of silly/obvious questions, but I am a novice at all this! We have recently knocked through from our kitchen to a new extension to create an opening. Various things have been moved from the wall that was knocked through, including...
Replies
Views
The situation is as follows. I have a shower enclosure which is slightly too small for the new shower tray. In a way this works to my advantage. I think. Why, because I stupidly bought 3mm wet wall panels. I didn't forsee the issues this would cause. (The panels not being thick enough to overlap...
Replies
Views
My step-daughter bought a 50's end-terraced house at the start of the year, and found there was a leak from Mira bar shower that was coming through the bedroom wall from the bathroom on the other side of the wall. The shower is over the bath and the bathroom walls are tiled around three sides of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock