Search the forum,

Discuss Rad not heating up. Warm water through both valves. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a house with 15 rads in it. In a bedroom upstairs I have a rad that isn't heating up. This rad was moved about 5 years ago with 1/2inch plastic pipe to new location in the same room but was never turned on.

Tonight I tried to blead it but then removed the rad, emptied it and when off I opened the two rad valves to let the water flow through. Some cold water first then both valves had hot water running through them into a pot. I put the rad back on, opened one valve till the rad heated up while I had the vent opened. Closee the vent, opened the other side valve then the rad got lost its heat!

I'm now baffled as to why this done this and won't heat up like every other rad in the house.

If the system was balanced initially and now you’ve decided to bring another rad into it then you’ve probably upset the balance. I would say it needs balancing to the rest of the system.

I tried to balance it again last night and it still won't heat up. It's baffling me thst there's hot water to both valves yet when I turn it on, it goes cold. I've even turned every rad off to try force the heat to it and the sane, it goes cold!

are you sure its piped up correctly eg not both onto the flow etc as youve sorta proved it wont work eg by turning all but the problem one off

Did you use the same connections

No as there’s no flow

If it worked before then it should work again was it not heat tested when moved ? ensure the system is full and vented rad valves are fully open run the heating, close off rads that do get hot this may push the heat through the problem radiator . Regards kop

Is it piped in plastic? Kinked pipe perhaps?

Yeah it's plastic. Can't see it being a kinked pipe because I'm getting hot water through both valves.

Would going up and over joists cause issues rather than through joists. The rad was on a wall where there's a void behind it. Pipe coming up through the floor for rad valves. I drained the system, removed the pipe with valves on them. Added new pipes to the plastic elbows and brought them up and over the joists in the void then back under the floor in same room for new rad location.

If it worked before then it should work again was it not heat tested when moved ? ensure the system is full and vented rad valves are fully open run the heating, close off rads that do get hot this may push the heat through the problem radiator . Regards kop

Wasn't testes when moved. Just left as is because room wasn't getting used.

I haven't vented all rads but all heating up. This is why I thought no need to vent.

Are you saying, Open up all valves while heating is on. Vent all rads. Start closing off all rad valves down stairs then continue to close off rad valves upstairs while leaving this rad valves fully open.

Reply to Rad not heating up. Warm water through both valves. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock