Search the forum,

Discuss Rad corrosion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sparky

saw a job today on a fairly new system was a leaking rad. The water from the bleed was clear but the puddle on the floor and where the bulky inlet is joined to the rad was like a big lump of brown black snot. Really thick, not watery at all. I could understand that the system probably hasnt been flushed, cleaned or had inhibitor added but has anyone seen this tyoe of corrosion?:eek:

yes its been roughed in,if its black ordinary sludge,if its red theres other problems,it needs cleaning/power flushing and quality inhibitor

Hi. I feel i must be alone on this topic. Having installed something like 600 C/H small bore systems (oil, Gas, Solid fuel) in the late 60is and 70is. When returning to the area, i meet people who say "The old C/heating is still going great, had a couple of pumps fitted over the years) no inhibitors were used. I am aware of boiler technology changes and the needs now to protect same. But its almost like the chemistry of the water must have changed when one sees the marketing of these products and the constant use of flushing machines.

you should see what corrosion does to the insides of boilers i have to repair,at the end of the day things were very different in the 60s and 70s,for a start boilers were built to last,imho boilers are to fragile nowadays,and rads are a lot thinner,with the small waterways and hydrolics we get in modern combis plus aluminium heat exchangers theres no wonder theres problems with corrosion

Fair comment. I was thinking some chemist was filling a can complete with label for 50p and selling it to the trade for a tenner.

you should see what corrosion does to the insides of boilers i have to repair,at the end of the day things were very different in the 60s and 70s,for a start boilers were built to last,imho boilers are to fragile nowadays,and rads are a lot thinner,with the small waterways and hydrolics we get in modern combis plus aluminium heat exchangers theres no wonder theres problems with corrosion

have to agree here. Old large water content boilers don't have things like microscopic pressure guage pipes( that you couldnt fit a hairpin inside) like the modern combi does. Or 8-10mm flexihoses running from small holes in pump manifold to the exp vess that are very prone to choking. Don't even get me started on modern glowworms etc with their 3million o-ring(slight exageration) manifolds that can obviously perish and split very easily. Much prefer fibre washer boilers myself. I think as the modern boiler gets smaller and made a the cheapest price possible then sludge was always inevitably gona be a bigger burden to us engineers.

hardly a burden realy how much extra work has powerflusing provided in the last five years

hardly a burden realy how much extra work has powerflusing provided in the last five years

spot on

If things didnt go wrong i would have to spend half my time stacking shelfs at morrisons!

I am often glad when i get a call saying 'that electric shower you fitted has failed and the manufacturer says its out of warranty' i see the $$$$$$ signs.

In a perfect world all we would do is installations and updates and upgrades

Thinking back to the late night call about water gushing out of a fitting I would be short by over ÂŁ100 quid on each occasion and might not be going to spain next month

Powerflushing alone does not clear chokeages, it cleans pipework and rads, it wouldn't clear for talking sake a choked cold feed(cut out and replace 99% of the time) or flexihoses/pressure gauges as I said in above posts.

The term 'POWERflush' is very misleading, to be honest it's not that powerfull. It's certainly won't clear a choked cold feed on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rad corrosion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, First post here, so please be kind! I am currently having a lot of trouble with air and related noise in my open vented heating system. Long story, with lots of things tried already, so please bear with me… Firstly, a photo of the heart of the system in the garage as it is today (lots...
Replies
Views
You amazing bunch were able to help me out greatly a few months ago and I’m hoping you will be able to do the same this time around. 7 months ago we had a new boiler fitted and had TRVs added to 3 out of 4 rads (we decided against the kitchen one closest to the boiler as we will be remodelling...
Replies
Views
Hi all Recently moved into an ex council property, 2 bed flat. The pipework is all visible externally on the walls and quite old from the looks of it. There is a Alpha Eco2 combi boiler installed. When I first moved in the system was ridiculously noisy, clear sound of rushing water when the...
Replies
Views
A
Bear with me here - my basic knowledge comes from reading online, not experience. I live in a 2 bed apartment with main bathroom and ensuite. Property has a pressurised CH system driven by a Potterton PowerMax HE boiler (a large free-standing combi boiler with the "benefits" of a built in 115L...
Replies
Views
R
hi folks, Any help on my problem would be very gratfully accepted ! as my wife has a lawyer on standbuy if this fails! Problem is boiler is heating the water in the system to a point after 5 mins of water circulating through the system that the pipes from the boiler to the 3-way are nearly to...
Replies
Views
rezlerken99
R
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock