Search the forum,

Discuss Quooker...is 110 degree water really ok? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

G3: ‘A hot water system that has a hot water storage vessel shall incorporate precautions to: (a) prevent the temperature of the water stored in the vessel at any time exceeding 100˚C’

Quooker: ‘The water is heated to 110˚C in the Quooker tank…When the water flows out of the boiling-water tap, the water cools from 110˚C to 100˚C and boils.

I like the idea of water cooling to boiling point. But seriously, am I missing something or do Quooker just ignore the Building Regs? (and the Water Regs.)

G3: ‘A hot water system that has a hot water storage vessel shall incorporate precautions

Quooker, presumably, isn't a system it's a single outlet.
They've been in the U.K for over 10 years and Holland for 15 before that.
I would have thought someone would have brought up the issue, if there was one, before now.

Not a storage system. ?

786AB0DE-2298-4B3C-A2BF-CFD162224E0D.png

Not daft at all. I was talking to a guy who owns one today and asking him how it worked. He said that the Quooker guy told him that the tank was full of superheated steam and that cold water flowed through the steam and turned into boiling water. Scary stuff.

Not daft at all. I was talking to a guy who owns one today and asking him how it worked. He said that the Quooker guy told him that the tank was full of superheated steam and that cold water flowed through the steam and turned into boiling water. Scary stuff.
Guess I was halfway right then :D

Yep. The one I saw today didn't even work that well. A dribble of sputtery water and a load of steam. It was bloody hot water, but that's about all you can say for it. If you were making a pot of tea you'd be standing there all day.

I thought G3 was just about notification requirements? I can't find anything that says that the regs don't apply. Othwewise you could install anything.
I stand to be corrected on that though.

The answer is Wras if the device has been passed by a PAG at wras then it’s ok providing it has been installed according to its specification.
Then this needs to be re examined every 4 years , there are two testing houses Kiwa and NSF for this country who presentbto wras . Europe is different ..I know been there so
This device is deemed safe ..end of Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Doesn’t the quooker have the constant drip relief to the drain, to relieve the pressure some what? If so would that get WRAS approval due to water wastage?

I don’t know, just guessing.... I do a lot of that;)

I actually have severe doubts about quooker and it’s probably cheaper imitations available soon on eBay. Some kid is qoing to get badly burnt at some point it’s obvious. I looked at the fail safe and guess what ..you can all examine the specification and make your own judgement , I would not fit it under any circumstances no matter what it’s like throwing hot coals for puppies to chew on . Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Quooker website: 'The water is delivered in a fine aerated spray rather than a solid jet, ensuring that you are able to move your hands to safety in time.'

Maybe, but I can't find a video anywhere of someone doing that.

Basically you drill a hole in the sink waste pipe and screw in a fitting that comes with the tap. Then you connect the bottom of the tundish to the screwed-in fitting with a flexible hose, making sure there a U in it to get a seal.

I think at 3 bar the boiling point of water is around 130-140c however if at any point this pressure drops (which I would image in does when you open the tap) the boiling temperature drops accordingly if pressure drops enough water will start turning to steam and expand quite quickly.
110c is just over 1 bar which is to say any pressure above atmospheric will stop water from boiling at 110c

Water boils at 110 deg C at about 1.4 bar, so the pressure in the tank must be at least that. I guess that the sequence is that when you open the tap the pressure drops to atmospheric and the water coming up the spout boils. Cold water enters the tank and it heated. The pressure in the tank rises to mains pressure plus a bit for expansion, which will give you more than 1.4 bar. Then it sits at that pressure until someone opens the tap. Incidentally, the PRV setpoint is 8 bar.

Reply to Quooker...is 110 degree water really ok? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock