Search the forum,

Discuss Quick question from Australia? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Australia
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sumrandom

Does the plumbing world differ too much from UK to AUS?

Just couldn't find and Aus forum that's all.

Aus has far too high expectations and sets one to many standards for us poms

Last edited by a moderator:
yup, you can work over here, but we cant work over there!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe it or not, different rules apply to us north of the border moving over there to work. Maybe our higher stds are more recognised than those of you lot dawwn saawff :wink:

Gerry (GQuigley) would be the one to answer this as he is just recently back from a spell in Oz.

An Aus plumber worked on a site i was on and he found the work easy.
He was a top bloke and had me in fits of laughter most days!

Thanks for your replies :)

It's 6:27am here, so back to bed for me!

In general terms it probably doesn't.

We have a strictly regulated trade. You have to do a 4 year apprenticeship, which involves @ 30 weeks of school. There are also different facets of plumbing that you have to do extra work / schooling to be qualified in.

The main areas are: Gas, Sanitary Plumbing, Mechanical Services, Water supply and Roofing.
Inspections by relevant authorities are sometimes required for the work that you do, although the inspections are random - you book one and if the job is selected you have the work inspected.

Technically it illegal to perform work you are not registered in, unless you are working for someone who can sign off on the job.
The main issue is that if you do work you are not qualified in and there is a problem, your insurance won't cover you.

All gas work requires Certificates to be lodged, and any work over a certain amount of money - labour and materials - needs to be Certified.
This system was brought in to protect the consumer and to make sure the person for the work is qualified and insured.
If you get caught out doing illegal work you can end up in court or, if you have a problem you will be up for the rectifications at your expense because insurance won't cover damage caused by illegal or uncertified work.

As for Plumbing Forums - there are probably plenty - but not used as frequently as this one.
Most of them seem to disappear for lack of use.

Last edited:
Worked over there for 4 years did my gas license and trades persons licence,worked on commercial ,housing ,sanis, tubeouts,drains.Always found the 'Plumbing inspections' a bit anal,never got the idea of making a job harder than it should be,using blue glue on drainage when they sell clear glue for a neater job ,but plumbers darnt use it,because the plumbing police might see it,most of the fittings are years behind the UK flared fittings and all that,brazing under a kitchen sink,setting pans down on a thick base of cement ' looks a **** ' .Most of the gas work I came across wouldn't be passed in the UK,found the job out there more physical mixing cement to bed down baths and toilets.One good thing though is full apprenticeships and no short routes into the trade,enjoyed working there,but didn't think it enjoyed the same status as being Gasafe reg over here,too much digging in drains and chasing walls out.Mind you it does take a bit of getting into gotta say Aussie plumbers have to be spot on at measuring especially when setting drains out on a big commercial slab,but they might struggle a bit do do a ''s'' plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quick question from Australia? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock