Search the forum,

Discuss Quick fix for a leaky toilet waste? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I've got a customer who wants me to fix a leak where the toilet pan meets the pan connector. Of course I'd usually take out the pan and replace the connector but for a variety of reasons (rusted screws etc...) it's difficult to move so I was wondering if there was a quick fix that would get him off my back as he's a bit of a pain. Thanks for any help you can give.

Hello Plumber,

I would just tell him its no point of fixing it temporary just because it will leak anyway sooner or later. If you are going to fix it temporary bare in mind he will call you back as soon as it starts leaking again even though you suggested him to replace the pan connector. if the bols are rusted and you cant get them of I would suggest him to get a new pan its better for him and for yourself.

a quick fix .. I have seen loads of different ways what plumbers do ... putty , silicon, bin bags, rags, towls, gorilla tape, bread,

a really good temporary fix I cant tell you best off to tell him you work with quality not quantity so he has to respect that you cannot fix something like that without changing the pan connector.

I hope it helped a little even though it was long

I have fixed quite a few toilet pan connectors just by doing same, - Tec7 or similar is excellent.
No point in touching a pan that is perhaps old and often rusty screws or tiled into floor, or on close coupled the cistern is a risk of all sorts of issues.
Life is just not worth the time wasted and risk. Customer will not thank you for making it into a big job, only to achieve the same result. Usually just the seal has weakened and not tight to pan spigot. Just shove a flat screwdriver blade into the joint and clean and dry it. Then keeping the screwdriver in the joint, just empty the silicone gun nozzle into the joint all the way around. No pressure on it really, so as good as new!
I used to just use ordinary silicone

Last edited:
My first private job as a 3 rd year apprentice was a leaky pan connector... boss gave me plumbers mate and said stick that around it ! done the job and got £20... not proud of it but I was 18 lol

Never heard of CT1 before, it looks like a cure all sealant, got a get me some [DLMURL]http://www.ct1ltd.com/en/ct1-applications.html[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
CT 1 here as well, cracking stuff, once used you wont want to use anything else, saw a double butlers sink put in from the bottom just using it, the chap held it for about 3 minutes then let go and filled both up, I was amazed.

I have fixed quite a few toilet pan connectors just by doing same, - Tec7 or similar is excellent.
No point in touching a pan that is perhaps old and often rusty screws or tiled into floor, or on close coupled the cistern is a risk of all sorts of issues.
Life is just not worth the time wasted and risk. Customer will not thank you for making it into a big job, only to achieve the same result. Usually just the seal has weakened and not tight to pan spigot. Just shove a flat screwdriver blade into the joint and clean and dry it. Then keeping the screwdriver in the joint, just empty the silicone gun nozzle into the joint all the way around. No pressure on it really, so as good as new!
I used to just use ordinary silicone

Does the CT1 or tec7 dry fast once you put it in ? Would you rather fix it always like that than changing the pan connector?

Sometimes needs must matchless> customer has no money, wants a quick fix to sell or the general state of everything means opening a big can of worms to do the job properly.

Yeah, I never had such a customers just yet ... maybe lucky:D

But I will consider it for an sos help :D thanks rpm

Changing pan often means changing flooring too. Unless you fancy going on a goose chase for a pan that's a tiny bit bigger in every dimension. Pfft...what do I need, ulcers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quick fix for a leaky toilet waste? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock