Search the forum,

Discuss Questions on cooker gas fitting. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

So I've got a gas pipe in my kitchen, but due to a miscommunication on my part it's got the wrong fitting for the cooker I intend to buy. It's got a nut on the end, and is facing upwards, whereas I need a bayonet, and if I understand correctly, those should always face downwards so the rubber pipe hangs vertically.

I have two questions: If I order installing with the cooker, is this something a typical installer (presumably gas-safe) that the shop sends round will be able to deal with, or should I just get the cooker delivered and arrange installation separately?

Second, I need to install some fireproof surface behind where the cooker will be. I don't want to discover that I've made it difficult to modify this fitting. So I am wondering how much room I need to leave above the end of the pipe. It's quite tight to the wall so if something needs to be attached to the end, I could see it being a problem if I don't. On the other hand if it needs bending over upside-down, maybe I don't need to leave any room, because it will end up lower than it is now.. Any opinions?

I am thinking of putting a glass surface in behind the cooker, but the wall is not very level so the bottom might end up being quite proud of the existing wall.

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_194946.jpg
    IMG_20200229_194946.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 18
Have the existing pipe altered so it comes up in a cupboard next to the cooker.
Install the bayonet in that cupboard.
That will give you some flexibility when installing the glass splashback and also an easy isolation point if someting goes wrong with the cooker.
It should also make installing fireproof material behind the cooker easier

Have the existing pipe altered so it comes up in a cupboard next to the cooker.
Install the bayonet in that cupboard.
That will give you some flexibility when installing the glass splashback and also an easy isolation point if someting goes wrong with the cooker.
It should also make installing fireproof material behind the cooker easier

Interesting idea, thanks! I do have a cupboard that's going to go there, I'll check out whether that works - I was going to put drawers in it so it might not. But if it does work it might be useful to push the cooker back a bit further.

So it was installed, with the pipe behind the cooker as recommended, but I'm not sure it's working right. it takes ages (50minutes) to get to gas mark 7, and I notice that the gap pipe looks twisted and maybe has a kink in it (see pictures). Does this look like a problem?

kink.jpegfront.jpegside.jpegtop.jpeg

Looks fine to me as for the heat I would say that’s down to the cooker

But, as someone who has been baking cakes since I was a child, I would agree 50 minutes to get to mark 7 is abnormal.

Alex: how do you determine that your oven has 'reached' mark 7?

But, as someone who has been baking cakes since I was a child, I would agree 50 minutes to get to mark 7 is abnormal.

Alex: how do you determine that your oven has 'reached' mark 7?

Yeah. There's no indicator, so I turn the knob and see at which gas mark the flame is reduced at, which I think corresponds to where the oven thinks it is.

Reply to Questions on cooker gas fitting. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock