Search the forum,

Discuss Question to all in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MMA 2011

I started studying Become a Registered Gas Safe Gas Engineer. I just finished the 3 day basic plumbing skills workshop. Does anyone could explain to me what the next steps until the end of my studies. Thank you for any information.:angel_smile:

When I finish studying I have to find a job in this profession to get some practice.

I started studying Become a Registered Gas Safe Gas Engineer. I just finished the 3 day basic plumbing skills workshop. Does anyone could explain to me what the next steps until the end of my studies. Thank you for any information.:angel_smile:

Could you expand on what a three day basic plumbing course covers?

spanner -,grips , hacksaw ,pipe bender.copper pipe 15mm/22mm!
end feed fittings
yorksheare fittings
plastick pipe work
soil pipe
down pipe
propane gas ,flux ,solder
did not remember any of there name even after week 1

As above (SafeGasInstall) says it all for three days. Only I would like to know what they are the next steps to achieve Gas Engineer?

I would recommend a more in depth plumbing course before moving onto gas. All depends on your long term plans, do you want to do servicing, breakdowns, installs! Like I said it all depends on what you are wanting, a little bit like DKIA was asking in post #2.

spanner -,grips , hacksaw ,pipe bender.copper pipe 15mm/22mm!
end feed fittings
yorksheare fittings
plastick pipe work
soil pipe
down pipe
propane gas ,flux ,solder
did not remember any of there name even after week 1

Also the earth's water cycle - at least that's what we learned on day 2. Apparently the water comes in over the sea in the form of clouds and these cotton wool things chuck their contents all over Manchester ... that set the scene for the rest of the course I attended!!

now i dont normally bother responding to posts like this but come back and ask the same question after 3 years my friend you still wont know your anus from your elbow,but with any luck you will have sorted your attitude out,after 3 days you probably dont know the difference from 22 and 3/4 pipe,some members on here are trying to help you by asking you some basic questions if you cant answer with some degree of decorum dont ask the question

A 3 day course is mental. I have been doing this job nearly 5 years now, I had a decent training/apprenticeship and I would still say I have basic knowledge of systems and pipework etc when it comes to the plumbing aspects of this job. As for the gas side, I do this alot more often in the form of appliance servicing and cp12's but I still need a nudge in the right direction sometimes.

I wouldn't do this 3 day course mate and expect to walk into a job, I have been looking at jobs recently and I would be classed as inexperienced to some firms out there. Good luck with your training and getting qualified but if you haven't paid any money for this course yet I would walk away and keep your cash.

I have chosen this direction may be badly I do not know. I need a advice from experienced people in the industry for advice. In which direction is best to acquire knowledge and practice to get a job afterwards. Does a plumber or a gas engineer, or both together just more knowledge of plumber as you say.I would like to become self employed in the future.:biggrin:

Your 3 day "plumbing" course is little more than useless as far as helping you get a job. What did they teach you. Water is wet and it runs downhill?
My next door neighbour knows as much about plumbing as you do.
If you want experience and education, apply for an apprenticeship.

So how long is the whole course
Where are you doing this course
how much has this course cost you
do you honestly believe that this course is value for money
does the trainning centre have really big windows
do you have a link so that we can have a look at what else the college has to offer
just out of interest is this college in the UK
What did you do before starting this course

It'll be free!! Come one come all to this wonderful country of dreams and fortune!
A 3 day course in plumbing?! The most stupid waste of time money and resources i've ever heard.
AGGGHHHH!!!!!!

When I was at college they spent more then 3 days on basic health and safety!

i did a 4 year apprenticeship eaning next to nothing. Doing all the jobs nobody else wanted to do. Making 16 cups of tea every morning to each engineers exacting standards and cutting the bosses lawn every monday morning. It makes me cross when people are qualifying in next to no time with very little skills or knowledge. Its dangerous to both themselves and to others around them. Whatever happened to learning properly and putting in the hard work and dedication to gain your qualifications? Its more about how much money you can pay the government for your qualifications now. The more you pay the quicker you qualify.

The government also want everyone to have a minimum level of learning - making it easier to achieve formal qualifications is one way of achieving their goal!

this thread is pure gold.
come on 3 days course and wanting to know the next steps....erm the start
2 hours of each day is probably breaks.

i cannot believe the amount of idiots that just pay money to some of these rip off training courses and believe they can go and train to become a gas engineer over night

imagine letting someone on site unsupervised that had only spent 6 months or a year at collage , personally I dont think anyone would take them on as they would be a liability or should I say death risk to themselves or worse others

fault finding on pipe work , solution if it leak put a PTFE on the thread to seal it and it will be ok !had few DIYers calling to put gas hobs and that they had the flexy from B&Q ...." and you going to charge me ÂŁ60 for just connecting the flexy which I supply , I am not having it " my answer was " I am not having it to " phone down

No I am going to charge you ÂŁ65 LOL , it does make me laugh people calling me and asking for a price and then say How Much and come out with the line they have been quoted x amount less. My response is get them to do it or call british gas, I am passed the stage of dealing with these idiots

Exactly! I get it all the time, "ÂŁ60? Wild Bill the gas engineer says he can do it for ÂŁ40!" "Well, for that price I would snatch his hand off" "He can't come for 3 weeks and I need it doing today" "Well it sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle then. Tata!"

I like that
Well it sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle then. Tata!"
Something I have noticed is the amount of time I spend chatting to people this is something I am starting to address with my new punch line

Phone up the Local colleges for city and guilds cert level 2 domestic natural Gas (6132) as a min with at least 10 mths on job experience on gas (which most are not Acs aligned) course which means you got to pay extra to a Acs centre to get you Gas core safety and cpa1 and core gas appliance tickets like Cen1 (central heating boilers) Htr1 (fires) etc. The Level 2 will only train you and allow you to work on installations that comply with UP1B. (which is to do with the volume of the gas installation and whether what low to medium pressure installations you can work on.) Employers can see this as a restricting to where they can send you especially if the town is medium pressure supplied from upstream from the supplier .

Ideally you need to train up to Nvq level 3 Domestic Natural Gas: Installation & Maintenance which will allow you to work on UP1b, UP1a. (this course takes 10 months full time plus work experience and that is cramming it in doing it 5 days a week in college. Most employers like BG want you to have this qualification if you do not have the experience

I'm currently finishing off my level 2 in December then doing my Acs( accredited certification scheme) but want to return back to college to gain the level 3 to improve my prospects.

There is no other short way of putting this but there is no short sharp course that can teach you in 4 weeks, yes you may pass a Acs course but will you know how to fix a boiler properly instead of chucking parts at it and not understanding why it has a failure. And knowing how to find faults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Question to all in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock