• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Question re thermal store in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

howy1

Reaction score
Sorry if this seems a trivia question , but just watched a programme called the chateaux with dick strawbridge .
My question is regarding the fact that he put a thermal store right at the top of the building 4 floors when the boiler was in the basement , what is the logic in this as I thought they are mains fed and it was a hell of a struggle to get in place .
Thanks Howy . ( just enhancing my knowledge) :)

chris watkins

Plumber
Reaction score
What goes up must come down for the primary side !
And given that there are bathrooms on or close to the thermal store position then you would need adequate water pressure to get up there in the first place, even if it was in the basement.
As the thermal stores heat the domestic hot water instantaneously it is more important that it is positioned close to the terminal fittings.

townfanjon

Trusted
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Herin doors watches this **** . Yes they are mains fed , no idea why he put it on the top floor they must have decent mains pressure for those big Chateau's lol, he is a bit of a likeable nutter

gmartine

GSR
Reaction score
They are mains fed that's true but judging by the flow that came out of that makeshift outlet it wouldn't be enough to supply such a massive house. At least by placing it in the attic they have gravity on their side and I bet they needed an accumulator of sorts to supply it. Primary reason for using a store of course is the multiple heat sources they can utilise as you can imagine what the costs are.

Reaction score
If you watch it, he tells you their mains pressure is c*** and he put in an accumulator to supply the thermal store next to it. Quite interesting program but his plumbing makes me laugh. Him and his mate 'Steve' have flexis coming out the walls and all sorts.

OP
H

howy1

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies , it’s clearer know , I think
Howy .

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store