Search the forum,

Discuss Question re: an old Worcester 9.24 electronic boiler and upgrading in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

booroo

Howdy all,

my flat came with a worcester 9.24 boiler and it has served us well for the past 8 years. The only hiccup was when the fan needed replacing about a year ago. It also requires a reset (unplug from the wall for 10/15 minutes) very rarely (perhaps four times since we've had it). Apart from that, it has served us very well.

So...my question is this. We applied for, and got, a £400 voucher as part of the London boiler cashback scheme but due to a few difficulties we've not gotten around to being able to use it yet. Bearing in mind how old the boiler is, should we take advantage of this voucher and replace the boiler sooner rather than later? I'd really appreciate some opinions on whether or not those of you with experience think that we're running on borrowed time as it is or whether you think that if it has served us well so far it likely will continue to do so and whether or not any issues will likely be easily dealt with (such as with the fan).

I guess the bottom line is that we'll be spending £1000+ to save £400 when we currently don't really feel that it needs to be spent in the first instance. Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Howdy all,

my flat came with a worcester 9.24 boiler and it has served us well for the past 8 years. The only hiccup was when the fan needed replacing about a year ago. It also requires a reset (unplug from the wall for 10/15 minutes) very rarely (perhaps four times since we've had it). Apart from that, it has served us very well.

So...my question is this. We applied for, and got, a £400 voucher as part of the London boiler cashback scheme but due to a few difficulties we've not gotten around to being able to use it yet. Bearing in mind how old the boiler is, should we take advantage of this voucher and replace the boiler sooner rather than later? I'd really appreciate some opinions on whether or not those of you with experience think that we're running on borrowed time as it is or whether you think that if it has served us well so far it likely will continue to do so and whether or not any issues will likely be easily dealt with (such as with the fan).

I guess the bottom line is that we'll be spending £1000+ to save £400 when we currently don't really feel that it needs to be spent in the first instance. Any advice on this situation would be greatly appreciated.
have you had it serviced every year?

looks like some of the parts are now becoming obsolete. Might be time to take advantage of the £400 voucher and have a new efficient A rated boiler installed with controls. If you get something with a 10 year guarantee then this would give you piece of mind as long as you have it serviced every year by a gas safe registered engineer. Plus it will be likely you will achieve a saving on your gas bill which over the span of the 10 year guarantee would end up in the boiler paying for itself.

Got called out to one of these two years ago, fan had failed (very common part for any boiler), no longer available as a spare!

Bottom line is: Keep hold of it if you want, but don't moan to the breakdown eng who comes out one Xmas eve and says "you can't get the part"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Question re: an old Worcester 9.24 electronic boiler and upgrading in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock