Search the forum,

Discuss Question on underfloor heating pipe conduits in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Dear community members,

Got a question here in hope someone can help to advise. I recently got my extension done with U/F heating installed. The manifold is in the garage next door so there are four pipes pass through the wall. The work is done and is working ATM. I wanted some plumbing work done before the Christmas and the plumber installed the U/F heating is not available so I called in another plumber recommended by a neighbour to have a look. When he is touring the entire installation with me, he immediately pointed out there is no protection against the H/F heating pipe when they pass the drill hole in the brick. What he told me was the plastic pipes need to be inside some conduits so they are protected against rubbing with the brick in case the small movement happens due to pipe expansion when the temperature changes. He also told me it's very standard practice and surprised the previous plumber didn't do it as the martial is very cheap. I did check quite a few places online and found it's recommended to protect the pipe when they are passing the wall.

However, the floor is complete now. So the questions are

1. what's the chance the pipe will be damaged in the future due to rubbing against the brick?
2. is there anything I can do at this stage to protect the pipe?

If I remember right, my plumber told me the pipe is a 16mm multilayer pipe. something like thin metal pipe sandwiched by two layers of plastic. Thank you.

Attachments

• UFHPipe.jpg
    UFHPipe.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 14
Personally I don't see issues and it'll be fine. It'd take a lot to rub through the plastic pipework, even then it'd have to against something sharp like a nail etc.

Thanks for your reply. It's a relief for me as the previous guy made it sounded very serious matter.
Tbh he's picking and making a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill.

Whilst it is probably good practice to sleeve them (Gas Pipes have to been sleeved through walls for protection) there's very little harm going to come to them.

Tbh he's picking and making a bit of a mountain out of a mole hill.

Whilst it is probably good practice to sleeve them (Gas Pipes have to been sleeved through walls for protection) there's very little harm going to come to them.

Thank you again for your detailed reply. I am an ok DIYer with some knowledge here and there but have to rely on experts about things like this. Sounds not a big issue which put my mind at rest.

Personally I would have sleeved them, but looking at them they dont seem to be in contact with the wall as they come out.

If you are worried then get some overflow pipe, slit it up its length and push it in over the pipes as far as it will go.

Personally I would have sleeved them, but looking at them they dont seem to be in contact with the wall as they come out.

If you are worried then get some overflow pipe, slit it up its length and push it in over the pipes as far as it will go.
Thanks for your reply. The photo was taken at an angle to show 4 pipes. They are actually touching the brick as they come out the drill hole and bent upwards to connect to the manifold. Also because the hole is almost an exact fit for the pipe, there isn't much room around. I did think about putting something in between to protect, but as there is very little room, don't think anything would fit. However if it doesn't create me a future problem, I'd rather not worry about it. :)

A bit of dpc will help and won’t harm anything

looks like mlcp pipe which is thick so unlikely to cause an issue

A bit of dpc will help and won’t harm anything

looks like mlcp pipe which is thick so unlikely to cause an issue
Ah, that's a very good thought. Thank you for suggesting. I was thinking about something thin but with the strength to slot into tight places. I will give that a try. Thank you

Others have already given good suggestions as to how to improve on what you have, so I can't assist further in that way, but perhaps I can help provide reassurance.

I would agree with previous comments that the pipe is thick and very unlikely to run through. The fact that there is a curve in the pipe is likely to prevent the pipe sliding in the holes (particularly as I understand the pipe is a fairly snug fit) and, in any case, the fact that the manifold is fairly close to the drilled holes will tend to minimise the length by which the pipes will expand in the first place.

While it would have been better to have sleeved the pipes in some way, it is nearly always possible to go one better, just as Citroen or Mercedes cars are perfectly decent if not quite as good as Bentley cars. I do not think it likely this installation will cause you any trouble.

In fairness to your plumbing critic, I do wonder whether he was thinking of the legal requirement in the "Water Regs" to sleeve water supply pipes where they pass through walls and this may be why he made the comment, forgetting that said rules do not apply to the water contained in a heating system.

I would check on instalation instructions for whatever make of underfloor you have.
We do a fair bit of underfloor heating and the makes we use ask for pipework to be flexible ducted thro walls ect even short lengths when passing through expansion joints on large floors.
As underfloor has a very long warranty I would want to be sure its been installed as per manufacturers instructions

Reply to Question on underfloor heating pipe conduits in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock