Search the forum,

Discuss Question about proper use of drains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sebdang

Hi, My neighbor is on the brink of being evicted by the housing association that owns her house. The police have been to her house around 18 times since the beginning of last summer, her new alcoholic boyfriend is on a tag and awaiting a prison sentence and there is constant mayhem next door like Jeremy kyle outtakes, damage to my property, etc, you get the picture.

I own my house along with my partner and we cannot afford to move at this moment in time. Getting to the point, my neighbor used to let her dogs foul in the entry to save her from cleaning up after them. One day, a guy from down the street took some video of this happening and told her if she kept doing it, he would report her. She then decided that she would let them foul in her back garden and on a daily basis, lift the manhole/inspection cover for the drains/sewer in her back garden, wet the floor and sweep it into the inspection hole, along with any other debris like grit and small bits of rubbish that may be laying around and at the same time spattering the toddlers toys with the dog muck brush on a daily basis. Since she has been doing this, there seems to have been one blockage that required draining rods to clear and workmen needed to be sent out to repair the concrete around the manhole cover due it it getting a lifetimes use in one week.. I think my drains are connected but am not 100% sure. My drains have been blocked before and i think it is because of this, sweeping dog muck and bits down the drain.

I have mentioned this to the housing authority that owns the house and they initially stopped her from doing it, till they took advice from their plumbing section. The plumbing section said it was OK to sweep dog muck into the inspection point as long as she did not sweep any other rubbish down there, so they told her she could carry on doing this. Since then there has been another blockage and i have CCTV footage of the latest blockage been cleared with rods and the angle of the rods lined up exactly to where my manhole cover is. Easy to see as we live in terraced housing.

I have worked in and around the building trade all my life and as far as i am aware. Nothing should be swept into an inspection point, as it is just that, an inspection point. I think this is especially true for a tenant, as a homeowner it becomes your responsibility to clear any blockages that may occur. I thought that the drain system was designed to work only with an adequate amount of water being introduced to the system at the same time, to facilitate the waste clearing the drain. As far as i know, the reason feces cannot be added without a flush, is that it can stick to the pipe and dry out causing a snag I also thought that it was a big no no to sweep into an open drain as small bits of grit can get stuck in the pipe joints also causing a snag.

Would someone please point me in the right direction, has this housing authority been given the correct advice and where i can find guidelines on this kind of stuff. Or maybe someone who has knowledge in this area could answer this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Question about proper use of drains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, So i have lived in my house for 20+ years, (1990 build) its a detached property, corner plot with various manholes in the garden. In the last year I've noticed i can hear when my neighbor flush their toilet through my downstairs toilet - this is a relatively new thing, so am assuming its...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A gardener/landscaping friend of mine is going to install an irrigation system in a customer's garden. He asked me to pop around and measure the pressures and flowrates...
Replies
Views
My mother has been away on holiday for a few weeks and she has a kitchen mixer tap that has a very slow drip nothing significant - been like that for a couple of years. The mixer has a a long spout that can be rotated between sink and drain bowl. She left the house meticulously clean. I came to...
Replies
Views
Hi, the water in my bathtub has been draining really slowly recently. I investigated it today and there was a large build up of gunk right under the plug hole, quite thick. I jabbed it hard with a stick and it completely dislodged and got sent down the pipes. I tried the taps again and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone offer me advice, I’ll try and keep it short! Just cleaned my magma cleanse unit, and it wasn’t too bad since last boiler service 1 yr ago. I have had a blockage in a microbore pipe which has been cleared. For piece of mind I thought it would be a good idea to add some MC3+...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock