Search the forum,

Discuss Question about kerosene heaters. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm not quite sure I'm placing this message on the right branch.

I need to install a kerosene heater RMC-95C6B in my friend's van. I'll have to find my own place and work with the tree, I can handle it, but he wants to install a thermostat. How do I connect them to each other so that they work properly I don't know, do I have any ideas?

Kerosene heater in a van - you must be off your rocker!!!

Do so at your own peril - your friend will probably end up dead and you will be eating prison food for the next handful of years.

Ignorance of the Gas Regulations is not an excuse.
eg: you can't front a Judge or Commission and say you didn't know about that Rule.
It your job to know the Rules regarding Gas installation

Get yourself a copy of the Regs.
It's all stipulated in them - there are specific sections on vans and caravans.

That heater looks like a stand alone, manual operation heater, i.e. you light it, adjust the output and it pumps out heater, if it gets too hot you turn it down or off. Cannot see how you could possibly make it automatic.
There are other heaters that have automatic controls and even separate the combustion air/flue gases from the cabin. Much for pleasant. However not cheap, how about a small genny outside and an electric fan heater with thermostat ?

Kerosene heater in a van - you must be off your rocker!!!

Do so at your own peril - your friend will probably end up dead and you will be eating prison food for the next handful of years.

Ignorance of the Gas Regulations is not an excuse.
eg: you can't front a Judge or Commission and say you didn't know about that Rule.
It your job to know the Rules regarding Gas installation

Get yourself a copy of the Regs.
It's all stipulated in them - there are specific sections on vans and caravans.
What has gas got to do with Paraffin (British for kerosene)?

I do agree that an unvented appliance in an enclosed space is a bad idea though (albeit if it's an American vehicle it may not be that enclosed by British standards as UK vehicles are generally MUCH smaller).

I'd be inclined towards something like a Propex heater for use in a van. That would require a gas installer in the UK, but is designed for vehicles (originally made for the GPO) so at least would be more suitable for purpose. No idea what the American legislation regarding gas installations in vehicles would be.

Just realised that this forum doesn't really work. We're all divided by a common language. In my British English, gas is propane/methane etc; in American English, gas is what I would call petrol. Thus I have decided this is the last non-UK thread with which I shall engage.

So that's not an option. I understand you well, I will try to consider your and other electrical options.

Yes, this is my friend's wish, because he left this new model of heater out of business. I asked this question before installing it for you because I'm a newcomer. Don't be angry, thank you for your advice, I am grateful to you.

So that's not an option. I understand you well, I will try to consider your and other electrical options.

Yes, this is my friend's wish, because he left this new model of heater out of business. I asked this question before installing it for you because I'm a newcomer. Don't be angry, thank you for your advice, I am grateful to you.

Nobody is actually angry with you, mate. In fact you've done the right thing by asking for advice and heeding the warnings. That makes you a sensible person in this context because there are many people out there who would have just cracked on with the job oblivious to the dangers. You'd be amazed at some of the crazy things we've seen people do out there. I've heard of bicycle inner tube used as a gas pipe repair within a dwelling. I've seen people put stop-ends on vent pipes on hot water cylinders because they were boiling over and just continued to run the system. I've found a nail in place of a proper fuse in an extension lead on site. If these people had asked questions first they wouldn't have done it.

Never be afraid to ask about these things. Don't be put off by negative reactions because we'd all prefer people to ask and be informed rather than cause a dangerous situation no matter how silly some might feel a question to be.

Reply to Question about kerosene heaters. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock