Search the forum,

Discuss Quality of radiators from plumbers merchants in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ziggy

Folks,

I replaced every radiator in the house about 6 years ago, and they were all the standard white-painted steel radiators that are everywhere, I bought mine from a plumbers merchant.

The central heating system is VERY old (over 25 years) but I have replaced pretty much everything apart from the pipe work and the system has alway had inhibitor.

Nearly half of these radiators have already started pinholing (some of them after only 3 years) and I am starting to wonder whether these radiators are inferior or whether the system itself being so old has accumulated too much corrosive material that even inhibitor can't cope with.

I have never had it power flushed, I have tried flushing it many times myself by running water through the system as it drains off ... some times for over an hour with the system on so the water is hot. I have also done this with every radiator closed off in an attempt to flush the pipework, but even though the water eventually runs clear, and I fill up and add inhibitor, the pinholing still happens.

I was wondering whether I should replace the radiators with branded ones (e.g. Mira) as they may be better quality, thicker steel, etc.

Any suggestions?

Ziggy

Should not be pin holeing already there is a problem I would guess you got a leak somewhere and you getting fresh water running in system all the time

Can't see any obvious signs of leaks or fresh water entering as it is open vented and the header tank in loft does not even have a trickle of fresh water coming in from the supply. The system does backfill though i.e. when pump is on full power system water continually trickles from vent pipe back into header tank.How long would you expect the standard steel radiators to last ... 10 years?

hi The trickling from vent will oxygenate the water which is passing through the system. This is likely to be related to the pin hole problem.

It would be worth getting a detailed Fernox lab test done, that would give you the exact answer. They are easy to do, and come with a full report.

you have a serious problem with corrosion which may be down to system design such as a low head installation or venting over which causes air and fresh water to be constantly sucked into the system causing your rads to pinhole is the water brown/red by any chance?

Yes, water tends to be red/brown whenever I have flushed the system. Original system must be quite old as when I bought the house the boiler was a Viscount Viceroy that was immediately condemmed!

The first replacement boiler I had put in also corroded eventually and had to be replaced!

you have a serious problem with corrosion which may be down to system design such as a low head installation or venting over which causes air and fresh water to be constantly sucked into the system causing your rads to pinhole is the water brown/red by any chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quality of radiators from plumbers merchants in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock