Search the forum,

Discuss qualifications for an old boy ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, I got a question for you lot.

I have been working in the plumbing / heating business since the 80’s and have done commercial screwed iron / commercial boiler rooms as well as the usual domestic. For me this has been an on/off career and I have worked sporadically in plumbing/heating as well as carpentry and believe it or not worked for over 10 years as an engineer in automation and mechanical engineering mainly for automotive applications.
Anyway, call me mental but I much prefer the freedom of choosing my work and being self employed than spending my days (and nights) in a car production plant and im going to stick with the plumbing from now on.
Anyway, I still have all my tools, I am currently working doing general plumbing / heating installs / repairs etc, the usual stuff and occasionally boiler installs alongside a gas safe guy.

My question is, should I make the effort to get qualifications?
From what I can see, if you want Gas safe or OFTEC etc then you need a pre requisite qualification, which I don’t have.

So, Im working and don’t want to spend days at college, I don’t want to lose my shirt to some training company and would like to just do an evening at college or similar.. I don’t need any supervision, I get my own work and I work with others for bigger jobs etc so, I am totally unclear on what kind of course I should do.

I guess I could just continue the way I am but I would rather be ‘qualified’ so… My question is, what should I do ? which qualification should I go for?

The 1st thing you need to do Jay is ring your local college, they will be able to offer you guidance on exactly what you need and how to go about getting it.

The 1st thing you need to do Jay is ring your local college, they will be able to offer you guidance on exactly what you need and how to go about getting it.

will do!
I am hoping one of you boys has been in a similar situation and could share your experience.

i would rather work at the car plant for £27k a year!!!

why do you need qualifications?

i would rather work at the car plant for £27k a year!!!

why do you need qualifications?

my record booked working week - 133 hours. but in reality, only 125 as 8 of them were a bank holiday addition.. and that kind of working week wasnt unusual, it was also under a fair amount of pressure.. plumbing is kinder, but not on the knees ;)

Check out this :- Level 3 Award in Safe Systems of Hot and Cold Water and Sanitation (WaterSafe Experienced Worker Qualification)

Check out this :- Level 3 Award in Safe Systems of Hot and Cold Water and Sanitation (WaterSafe Experienced Worker Qualification)

that looks spot on ! thanks.

OFTEC will probably not be a problem for you to do. Loads of people do it that have no trade background or qualifications whatsoever.
Wave the cash at the training centres and I am sure you will not always be turned away. :smile:

OFTEC will probably not be a problem for you to do. Loads of people do it that have no trade background or qualifications whatsoever.
Wave the cash at the training centres and I am sure you will not always be turned away. :smile:

cheers @Best, ill give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to qualifications for an old boy ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock