Search the forum,

Discuss Qual oil pipe in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

ShaunCorbs

Super Moderator
Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Solutions
Anyone use it above ground ?

We have used it for underground oil lines but always terminated it just at ground level .From memory you can take it to inlet side of fire valve as long as it's no nearer than 500mm from burner.

Not designed for above ground use I believe. Prone to UV damage.

says it’s uv safe but the website is contradictory says you can go from the tank to the fire valve without joints then further down not suitable for above ground use then on another page conifer green so doesn’t look to bad if on show :D

Hmmm, sounds legitimate lol. I personally prefer copper, you know where you stand with it.

exactly but for some reason Worcester won’t allow 10mm over 12m and this one is around 20m so have to do it in 15mm soft is way way to expensive so was looking for alternatives

Where are you getting that info from? That I didn't know of to be honest. When sizing a fuel line it should be done through your OFTEC books, you'd be surprised at what sizes some lines can run off. The problem is manufacturers won't warrant an installation if you don't follow there sometimes ridiculous criteria. Will there be a tiger loop?

Where are you getting that info from? That I didn't know of to be honest. When sizing a fuel line it should be done through your OFTEC books, you'd be surprised at what sizes some lines can run off. The problem is manufacturers won't warrant an installation if you don't follow there sometimes ridiculous criteria. Will there be a tiger loop?

Yep threw me aswell it’s only 24-32 so 10mm should be ok but Worcester state 12m max for 10mm

Attachments

• 34BAEB8A-6615-4718-A0EA-9D3AA60EB221.png
    34BAEB8A-6615-4718-A0EA-9D3AA60EB221.png
    865.6 KB · Views: 6
24-32 is nothing, 10mm should be fine, although overall length plays a part. Without doing the calculations I couldn't say what minimum size oftec would recommend but again you would void warranty if you don't comply unfortunately.

Exactly it’s one of them :D

I would say 20m maximum in reality around 17m probably

Quality pipe always a no no above ground. Only carry 10mm pvc coated copper. The copper is cheaper as well.

needs to be 15mm as it’s over 12m so best part of £230 for soft :(

Quality pipe always a no no above ground. Only carry 10mm pvc coated copper. The copper is cheaper as well.

Agree totally mate. We only ever used plastic coated copper. Even the smallest domestic installation probably has an oil tank close to 1000ltrs. If plastic pipe was installed wrong and failed on a gravity system then there will be a hefty clean up bill.

Quote up 12mm pipe? Even if you can't get plastic coated you could lag in some electrical conduit.

can’t get locally and tbh never seen 12mm

that was my thought 2 6m lengths of 20mm galv conduit just emailed qual to see there stance on it

I will I can’t see why in theory but there’s two possibilities

one mechanical or environmental damage

two fire risk

"Qual-Oil pipe is for below-ground use only. BS5410 was amended in March 2001 to include thermoplastic oil lines, which are approved by OFTEC, for below ground applications. For above ground applications metallic pipe must be used."

So, perhaps the answer to the paradox is that it's UV stable enough to store outside (for some unspecified length of time) but it can't be used above ground due to a prohibition in BS5410.

Still don’t know any half sunk tanks but I bet there’s one :D

looks like it’s 15mm and couplings

Attachments

• 61F74A5A-61D2-44D2-B73A-84B18ED9E512.png
    61F74A5A-61D2-44D2-B73A-84B18ED9E512.png
    471.7 KB · Views: 6
So there you have it. NOT suitable for above ground usage.
Yep and you can’t go from the tank to the fire valve without joints

So you would need the fittings at tank valve and strainer, then couplings, then your run of Qual pipe, another coupling and then your isolating valve, filter and fire valve before continuing to burner. Even if you do the iso valve, filter and fire valve properly with bushes and not multiple compression fittings that is a lot of potential leaks. Also any joints below ground need to be done properly as well, 450mm depth, a base of sand above and below oil line and marking tape 150mm below ground level to show a join. I'll stick to copper thanks lol.

Correct too many joints for my liking underground also you couldn’t flare it so there’s that

or fit a Tiger loop then it’s 100m :D

Just remember if you're not flaring it you need inserts for compression, in case you didn't already know.

tbh wouldn’t risk it underground run a new line

Exactly. We never experienced a major leak but I know of many horror stories of either oil tank fires, or hundreds of litres lost to the environment. The environment agency will blow their lid if it was proved you were responsible for such a leak. Thousands in a clean up bill.

This was a fire at my sisters property. Fortunately the tank was installed to current regs and situated nowhere near the shed (just out of picture). The tank is about 1000 litres I believe. Could of been a whole lot worse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210426-193309_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-193309_Facebook.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 8
Do you know what started it ?

Yeah, he's a bit of an idiot but an aeronautical engineer like my sister 🤔.
The thing is and a point I've tried to make clear to many of my clients over the years is the storage and supply of fuel oil is no less dangerous than that of lpg or mains gas. The main difference is that gas fires or explosions tend to be more common simply because of how many installs there are within the nation.
My dad had a call out one day. A customer of his had recently and unbeknown to them sprung an oil leak. They had the builder trimming some stuff with a chain saw. A small ember flew into the pool of oil, vaporised enough for ignition and the whole tank went up. The aftermath was sobering.

Reply to Qual oil pipe in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know a good, not super expensive, leak detection company in the London area?
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock